Full Moon Fever | Teen Ink

Full Moon Fever MAG

Last year Tom Petty put out an album with Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, George Harrison, and Bob Dylan, who together form the Traveling Wilburys. This year "Full Moon Fever", Petty's first solo album without his band, the Heartbreakers, was released. Many of the songs were co-written with fellow Traveling Wilbury, Jeff Lynne. Also collaborating on the album are members of both bands, including guitar greats Mike Campbell and George Harrison.

The album has already put out three singles: "I Won't Back Down", "Runnin' Down A Dream" and "Free Fallin."

The first two are upbeat songs while the third is more mellow. The album also includes a great remake of the Byrds' classic, "Feel A Whole Lot Better." There are two different types of songs on this album. Some are reminiscent of Petty's previous excellent albums such as "The Apartment Song," whereas the others have a new, Wilbury-ish sound as in "Love Is A Long Road."

Proving the Heartbreakers to be the true rockers that they are, Petty already toured with his band for this album. The solo material of Petty's sounds as good as the classic Heartbreaker tunes. Petty's new album and his summer tour are first rate.n