Step By Step | Teen Ink

Step By Step MAG

By Anonymous

   "Step by Step" is the fourth album by Boston's own New Kids on the Block. "Step by Step" was the first song released in late May highly demanded by all New Kids fans. The song, "Tonight," is reminiscent of the Beatles' "Sergeant Pepper" with different types of instruments like the cello, flamenco guitar, and harpsichord. This song was totally written for all devoted New Kids on the Block fans, also known as Blockheads.

They also get into the dance hall reggae of "Stay with me, Baby," which Donnie Wahlberg pulls off superbly. The love ballads, "Let's Try Again" and "Baby, I Believe in You" is the style of singer Jordan Knight, who sings with total emotion.

"Games" is funk with a New Kids message, "When you put us down, it ain't gonna get you nowhere."

Singer Joe McIntyre has fine moments with "Where Do We Go From Here" and "Funny Feeling."

Danny Wood shines in the spotlight with "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again," which he co-wrote.

"Call It What You Want," sounds like music from the early 80's, a mixture of Prince and Kool and the Gang. They also get very sweet with "Time is on Our Side," and the sound of the 50's with "Happy Birthday to You" belongs to the voice of Jonathan Knight with back-up vocals by brother, Jordan.

This album has the sound of the past, but the girls of today will no doubt fall in love and send it to Number One in America.