Un-Led-Ed | Teen Ink

Un-Led-Ed MAG

Any Led Zeppelin fan can tell you that much of today's "metal" was derived from the music of Led Zeppelin, whether it be their on-stage presence, their forceful plodding sound, or their slash guitar riffs. Many Zeppelin fans have a thirst for something new, something original. And so, Dread Zeppelin was created.

Dread Zeppelin is a band that mixes blues, rock, and Jamaican reggae with the combined antics of Led Zeppelin's singer Robert Plant and the incredibly talented rock n' roll legend Elvis Presley. The lead singer, "Tortelvis," is an Elvis impersonator and makes the Reggae/Zeppelin/Elvis sound of the band come together into a clean sounding reggae performance. Their ability to transform Zeppelin classics into reggae standards is impressive, and as you can imagine, very humorous.

One song, "Heartbreaker (at the End of Lonely Street)," mixes the music of Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" with the words of Elvis' "Heartbreak Hotel." The mixture of these two classics provides pleasure for both the ear and the funny bone. I truly feel the song is a work of art.

The rest of "Un-Led-Ed" is mostly reggae versions of Led Zeppelin songs, such as "Black Dog," "Whole Lotta Love," and "Immigrant Song." The musicians of Dread Zeppelin are both entertaining and musically talented. The guitarist, Jah Paul Jo, can well live up to the standards of guitar legend Jimmy Page, and the drumming sound, (that of "John Bonham goes reggae"), provide a steady, and very danceable beat.

I enthusiastically recommend this for any Led Zeppelin or Reggae fan. Truly an album to be enjoyed by fans at either end of the musical spectrum.*** 1/2