The Real Thing | Teen Ink

The Real Thing MAG

By Anonymous

   "You want it all, but you can't have it," sings lead vocalist Michael Patton during "Epic." That is a description of the band's history when eight years ago, Faith No More was considered the most unlikely to succeed.

Drummer Mike Bordin, keyboardist Roddy Bottum, bassist Billy Gould, guitarist Jim Martin, and vocalist Mike Patton have created their best album. "The Real Thing" easily surpasses their earlier albums - "We Care A Lot" (1985) and "Introduce Yourself" (1987). In June of 1989, Faith No More released "The Real Thing," which quickly dropped off the charts. The album re-entered when Faith No More began to receive attention and publicity. With a Grammy nomination and steady MTV support for "Epic," "The Real Thing" moved into the Top 20 and was certified gold.

Mike Patton uses different musical techniques on their third album. He raps and whines to the funky, hard rock beat of "Epic" and sings softly in "From Out of Nowhere." Patton uses high-pitched singing, similar to Motley Crue, on their new single "Falling to Pieces." Their videos are crazy and original with wacky effects. For example, "Falling to Pieces" features Patton dressed as a surgeon who explodes fish, and "Epic" has Patton rapping during a thunderstorm.

Overall, "The Real Thing" is an excellent album, but the record does have its weak spots, especially the loud and infuriating "Surprise! You're Dead!" The rest of the songs on the album make up for any weaknesses that may emerge. Faith No More has truly got what they wanted with "The Real Thing." n

Rating: ***1/2