Ten Of The Best | Teen Ink

Ten Of The Best MAG

By Anonymous

   After seeing the choices for other students' ten best tapes or CD's, I realized that I would like to offer my own top ten picks, not in any particular order.

1) "Core" - Stone Temple Pilots: This band seems to be one of the most promising bands of the year. Highlights of the album include "Creep" and "Plush," as well as "Sex Type Thing." There is something for everyone with this group.

2) "You're Soaking In It" - Life Goes Wrong: An excellent local group from Worcester, Life Goes Wrong are very different and talented, destined to make it. If anyone gets a chance to hear it, I recommend the songs "Lumbar" and "Life Into Your Lies."

3) "Ten" - Pearl Jam: So much has already been said about this band there's nothing left for me to say. My three favorites on this recording are "Black," "Deep," and "Garden."

4) "Hometown" - The Cages: The Cages are acoustic guitar-oriented with outstanding lyrics. This is the kind of music to relax to. Listen to "Walking Hand in Hand," "Raven", and "Too Tired."

5) "Blind Melon" - Blind Melon: This group of newcomers with their catchy rhythms and lyrics are becoming more widespread. Almost anyone will enjoy this plethora of ideas. Two of the best songs are "Tones of Home" and "Change."

6) "Little Earthquakes" - Tori Amos: Tori Amos speaks very softly, but she makes her points through her original piano/keyboard voice. Her songs invite you to think about your life especially in "Precious Things." Don't miss the hit "Me and a Gun" in which Tori sings a cappella, and the song is not what it seems.

7) "Fear" - Toad The Wet Sprocket: What can be said about a band that has truly got it together? " Hold Her Down" and "Before You Were Born" say it all.

8) "Vulgar Display of Power" - Pantera: I usually don't like thrash that much, but after borrowing this one, I really liked it. Believe it or not, I borrowed it from my English teacher. I particularly thought "This Love" and "Walk" stood out.

9) "3 Years, 5 Months, & 2 Days in the Life of ..." - Arrested Development: Even though they are a "rap" group, don't turn these powerful musicians away. They are up and coming future stars whose views on today's society are very strong. "Raining Revolution" and "Tennessee" are two of the many good songs on this outstanding debut effort.

10) "Angel Dust" - Faith No More: Faith No More's past three records are very different from their fourth effort, "Angel Dust." This one shows a very dark side of FNM, one that hasn't before been exposed. A few of the better songs include the controversial "RV," the darkly amusing "Be Aggressive" and the all-around cool song "A Small Victory."

I think that I could probably list two or three more, but these ten are generally my favorites. If you've had the chance to listen to any or all of these groups, you know how talented they are. If you haven't, I recommend trying them out. n