In Utero | Teen Ink

In Utero MAG

Nirvana - "In Utero"

Nirvana's third album, "In Utero," was released on September 21st. Run, don't walk, to your nearest music store to buy this incredible collaboration of music. You will not be disappointed. "Nevermind" fans beware: you will probably not like this album. It contains very little of the marketable tone of "Nevermind." This is true. This music is real.

The album's lead-off track, "Serve The Servants," is one of the best. "Teenage angst has paid off well/now I'm bored and old" is probably Kurt Cobain's anthem of life now. The album progresses with "Scentless Apprentice," and "Heart Shaped Box," which has been getting almost constant radio airplay. "Dumb," "Milk It," and "Pennyroyal Tea" are three other notable tracks. "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" and "Tourette's" - an incomprehensible array of Kurt Cobain's rasping, bellowing screams, - follow. The album closes with "All Apologies," the only song on the album with so many Top 40 commercial qualities, it's stomach churning.

It is probably safe to assume that phenomenal success has taken its toll on Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, and Chris Novoselic. Listening to "In Utero," you get the feeling that this is not Nirvana: Multi-platinum chart-toppers; this is Nirvana: one hell of a punk band. n

Review by S. H., Groveland, MA

i love this so much!