Show | Teen Ink

Show MAG

By Anonymous

   The lords of all things gray and shivery have once more resurfaced with somethingnew for their faithful to feast upon. The Cure has cultivated songs of torturedsouls and broken hearts and made them their classic, signature style. While theirearlier albums often had more of a pop appeal swirled in with their depression,their more recent albums, like "Wish," drive directly to your soul and revel inyour shattered dreams.

The new record is "Show, " which was recorded atthe Detroit, Michigan stop of the phenomenal "Wish" tour. To describe "Show"simply, you might say that it is mainly songs from "Wish" with a few classicshere and there. This, however, is a very shallow description, and is misleadingto your average listener.

"Show" is unbelievable. Since the Cure is arather unconventional band, "Show" isn't really like most live concertrecordings. There are no drastic remixes or trippy guitar solos, but there isapplause (and rightfully so). It is also rather pleasant to hear the deep,thickly-accented voice of the brilliant Robert Smith, whose vocal range isincomparable to any other.

The album begins with a very mellowinstrumental which suddenly bursts into "Open." Among the best of "Show" are, ofcourse, the classics: "Pictures of You," "In Between Days," and "A Night LikeThis." Other favorites include "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea" and thehard-hitting, bass-y album conclusion, "End." However, many devoted fans (as I)may feel that there were some empty spots.

I recommend this record to allwho are interested in the music of The Cure, but I feel that real devotees mightappreciate this wonderful compilation more. I think that others may feel thatthis is just a "Wish" rerun. Nevertheless, it's a great album, and I remind youto also check out their other live recording, "Paris," which was also a "Wish"tour show and includes THE ABSOLUTE BEST of the Cure.