The New Sounds Of Gospel | Teen Ink

The New Sounds Of Gospel MAG

When the term "Gospel Music" comes to mind most people tend to think of dull, dry church hymns that come from those dusty, dilapidated old books in the front of the pews. Who can forget those timeless classics that we sang on Sundays with those wonderful "thee's and "thou's" and those ever-so-popular Latin phases.

Well, times have changed and so has the face of gospel music. Contemporary Christian artists have taken the old gospel hymns and added a new '90s twist, not to mention inventing a few songs of their own. Spiritually oriented music has taken on the flavor of jazz and R&B, captivating listeners of all age groups.

This new revelation in gospel music has brought forth many new artists such as Yolanda Adams, John P. Key and Kirk Franklin C and the Family's hit single "The Reason Why I Sing" just went platinum.

Not only has the new sound of gospel been successful in the Christian community, but on the jazz and soul circuit as well. Even the older generation has jumped on the new gospel band wagon. Albertina Walker and Shirley Caesar have found success in this new music arena.

Although the new sounds of gospel have been specifically geared for younger audiences, the music has bridged the generation gap and crossed over to bring the divine message to people of all ages