The Beatles – | Teen Ink

The Beatles – MAG

“The Beatles One” is by far the best Beatles ­album ever compiled. It was released in 2000 and includes all of the band's biggest pop rock hits from the U.K. and the U.S. Most of the songs were ­released during the '60s, and all but two were on top-ten lists. The album includes number-one hits like “We Can Work it Out” and “Day Tripper.”

The Beatles had many styles. One of the reasons this album is so popular is that it shows the evolution of their musical skill. Most of the songs at the beginning are basic three-chord rock tunes, such as “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” but as the CD progresses, The Beatles' musical talent flourishes. The listener can hear their talent peak with “Hey Jude.” Many instruments and beats make this one of their most popular songs. 

There are many reasons I love this album. One is that every time I listen, I get lost in the poetic lyrics. Also, no matter how often I hear the songs, they never get old. The only downside is that this album doesn't contain songs from the band's later career.

From the time The Beatles formed in 1960 to today, they have been one of the most popular and influential bands of all time. They were not just singers, they were composers. Many groups that did not write their own music, like the Monkees, didn't remain together long. “The Beatles One” is a culmination of the band's best songs and it deserves two thumbs up.

on Feb. 19 2009 at 10:05 pm
xxpetitepoetxoxo BRONZE, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
I love the Beatles! Their music is completely timeless and will forever be loved by generations to come. I have the 1 album and it's one of my favorite C.D's.

ricechowder said...
on Feb. 18 2009 at 12:32 am
In my opinion, The Beatles are the most influential musical group in history. They are INSANELY AMAZING and i absolutely loveeee this album.

on Feb. 15 2009 at 7:01 pm
Jeveuxtonamour SILVER, Imaginary, California

"are people born wicked? or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?"

the beatles one album is not nearly as good as their British releases. capitol records really missed with this one.

on Jan. 2 2009 at 3:44 pm
I could never undersatand why The Beatle first, full-fledged #1 was not included - that being "Please, Please M."

Imagine said...
on Jan. 2 2009 at 4:30 am
Aw, I'm sooooo happy to know I'm not the only kid of the younger generation who loves The Beatles. While I still think The White Album is better, your review makes me want to go put the CD in. Good job!

quantafyre said...
on Dec. 31 2008 at 6:47 pm
The tracks on 1 are abysmally mixed. I played it once and have never played it since. They are about as bad as the second release of "Help Me Rhonda" by the Beach Boys. Horrible.

viper said...
on Dec. 31 2008 at 3:31 pm
"and all but two were on top-ten lists"... Are you thick? The title of the CD is 1. All the the songs on the CD were #1 hits in the the UK or the US. Do your homework!

Harrisong223 said...
on Dec. 31 2008 at 12:45 pm
How on earth did you get a position reviewing music?

I wanna Hold your Hand has more than three chords, more than double in fact. It also has more chords than Hey Jude, so I don't get the point of paragraph two.

This is the best Beatles' album?? I'm guessing you have absolutely no clue about their classic albums: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper etc etc.

Blue Hammer said...
on Dec. 31 2008 at 11:00 am
If you must place articles like this at least make them accurate.

Points of correction:

1. All these songs were number 1 hits - hence the name of the CD!

2. Hits from the Band's late career are well represented - it doesn't get much later in their career than "The Long and Winding Road" or "Let it Be".

3. The Beatles "formed" in 1957-ish as the Quarrymen. Granted they only assumed the name "Beatles" in 1960, but John, Paul and George were playing together for 3 years before then.

"1" IS a great CD, but not helped by shoddy reviews like this.

Y. Submarine said...
on Dec. 31 2008 at 4:06 am
Mike, I suggest you listen more closely to those early Beatles songs. None of them, and in particular not "I Want to Hold Your Hand," is a "basic three-chord rock tune." Also I'd like to encourage you not to stop your exploration of the Beatles' music with this collection of number one singles. As you note, their musical innovation was an ever ongoing process, and for this reason I think you might find it enlightening to start with their first album, get to know it, and work your way through the whole catalog. The hit singles are fab, but they're just the tip of the iceberg. You're missing dozens of hidden gems: "If I Fell," "Things We Said Today," "You Like Me Too Much," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "Norwegian Wood," "Drive My Car," "Tomorrow Never Knows," "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," "Blackbird," etc., etc., etc., etc. Keep exploring!

NellieOApple said...
on Dec. 31 2008 at 2:31 am
Hi! I'm an ardent fan of the Beatles especially Paul McCartney. Beatles One is fab!