The Beatles – This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“The Beatles One” is by far the best Beatles ­album ever compiled. It was released in 2000 and includes all of the band's biggest pop rock hits from the U.K. and the U.S. Most of the songs were ­released during the '60s, and all but two were on top-ten lists. The album includes number-one hits like “We Can Work it Out” and “Day Tripper.”

The Beatles had many styles. One of the reasons this album is so popular is that it shows the evolution of their musical skill. Most of the songs at the beginning are basic three-chord rock tunes, such as “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” but as the CD progresses, The Beatles' musical talent flourishes. The listener can hear their talent peak with “Hey Jude.” Many instruments and beats make this one of their most popular songs. 

There are many reasons I love this album. One is that every time I listen, I get lost in the poetic lyrics. Also, no matter how often I hear the songs, they never get old. The only downside is that this album doesn't contain songs from the band's later career.

From the time The Beatles formed in 1960 to today, they have been one of the most popular and influential bands of all time. They were not just singers, they were composers. Many groups that did not write their own music, like the Monkees, didn't remain together long. “The Beatles One” is a culmination of the band's best songs and it deserves two thumbs up.

bandgeek said...
the beatles one album is not nearly as good as their British releases. capitol records really missed with this one.

jilliandunphy said...
I could never undersatand why The Beatle first, full-fledged #1 was not included - that being "Please, Please M."

Imagine said...
Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:30 am
Aw, I'm sooooo happy to know I'm not the only kid of the younger generation who loves The Beatles. While I still think The White Album is better, your review makes me want to go put the CD in. Good job!

Avalynn replied...
Nov. 23, 2009 at 12:39 am
Agreed, but the One Album is the white album...
the beatles are amazing!!!

quantafyre said...
The tracks on 1 are abysmally mixed. I played it once and have never played it since. They are about as bad as the second release of "Help Me Rhonda" by the Beach Boys. Horrible.

viper said...
"and all but two were on top-ten lists"... Are you thick? The title of the CD is 1. All the the songs on the CD were #1 hits in the the UK or the US. Do your homework!

Harrisong223 said...
How on earth did you get a position reviewing music?

I wanna Hold your Hand has more than three chords, more than double in fact. It also has more chords than Hey Jude, so I don't get the point of paragraph two.

This is the best Beatles' album?? I'm guessing you have absolutely no clue about their classic albums: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper etc etc.

Blue Hammer said...
Dec. 31, 2008 at 11:00 am
If you must place articles like this at least make them accurate.

Points of correction:

1. All these songs were number 1 hits - hence the name of the CD!

2. Hits from the Band's late career are well represented - it doesn't get much later in their career than "The Long and Winding Road" or "Let it Be".

3. The Beatles "formed" in 1957-ish as the Quarrymen. Granted they only assumed the name "Beatles&qu... (more »)

MiraNicole replied...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 11:35 am

Oh god, thank you! I was thinking of these exact same points. I don't think it is a "shoddy review", but I don't believe it is a particularly informed one. 

Also, I wouldn't call this a "Beatles album". This is a collection. A fantastic collection, yes, but an actual Beatles album...no. 

Y. Submarine said...
Dec. 31, 2008 at 4:06 am
Mike, I suggest you listen more closely to those early Beatles songs. None of them, and in particular not "I Want to Hold Your Hand," is a "basic three-chord rock tune." Also I'd like to encourage you not to stop your exploration of the Beatles' music with this collection of number one singles. As you note, their musical innovation was an ever ongoing process, and for this reason I think you might find it enlightening to start with their first album, get to know it, and wo... (more »)

NellieOApple said...
Dec. 31, 2008 at 2:31 am
Hi! I'm an ardent fan of the Beatles especially Paul McCartney. Beatles One is fab!