The Newsboys | Teen Ink

The Newsboys MAG

The suspense and excitement of the crowd gathered in front of the gates of The Performing Arts Center at Darien Lake, Buffalo was as thick as the humidity of that afternoon. Some had been waiting since 2 p.m. The gates weren't supposed to open until 4 p.m. and the Supertones (who were opening for the Newsboys) weren't starting until 7 p.m. The people at the gates tormented the crowd, opening the gate a crack and then closing it right in their faces. The gates, however, didn't even open until 5 p.m. because of technical delays. As soon as they opened, there was a mad rush to the front of the Center. Everyone piled into seats and in a matter of seconds the front section, as well as most of the entire Performing Arts Center, was full.It seemed like an eternity, but when the Supertones came out there was an endless sound of cheering. As a Christian\ Ska group, their songs reflect their beliefs. The first song they played was "Supertones Strike Back" from their new CD. It really brought the crowd into the mood (as if they weren't hyped up enough). Then, all of a sudden, everyone was dancing and jumping around - and this was only the first song! They played until 9 p.m. (a whole two hours). By the end, we were all exhausted, breathless, not to mention hot! This was not even the height of the concert. The Newsboys were yet to come and they were the real reason everyone was there.The Newsboys loaded onto the stage and all of a sudden our exhaustion, sweat and everything else didn't matter because the moment we had all been waiting for had arrived which nothing could ruin. The first note was played and everyone was dancing, screaming, singing, laughing, up and down the aisles, having a great time. When they played "Shine," it was as if everyone had come together, singing in one voice with such an emotion that anyone who had never heard of The Newsboys before would have noticed a difference. They aren't just another group who write some nice songs that people like for a while and then the next week are off the top 10 list. This is a group whose songs affect peoples' lives and the way they live. I know I'll never be the same because of their message. I encourage anyone who has a chance to hear either band play - go see them and experience their music for yourself