Vanilla Ice - Hard To Swallow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Hard-core cross-over and Vanilla Ice? Yeahright, you say? Well, the one-hit wonder white rapper from theearly nineties is back with a rap-metal album that willdefinitely surprise you. Hip-hop beats, machine-gun stylerapping and heavy, hard-core screaming add up to a cross-overrecord that blows his "Ice, Ice baby" days away. Reaching backto his old-school rap influences just highlights his newlyfound, downturned Korn-esque sound. Adding sampled mixes andvinyl scratching, to heavy guitars and his "choking on glass"voice move this record to the heavy music section.

Icekeeps his record balanced with his cross-over style bringingsongs influenced by hard-core metal like "Prozac" and"Stomp-in' Through the Bayou," but still keeps his hip-hopfactor in high gear. With clever rhymes and random freestyles,this is a true cross-over album.

I think this album isgreat. The guitars are thick and heavy, the rap/scream-stylevocals work well and Vanilla Ice never stops with his House ofPain-style clever rhymes. The one downfall is the lack ofsongwriting. Ice never holds back with his rhymes, but most ofthe songs have no meaning.