Ghost Stories by Coldplay This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Coldplay is a British born group consisting of lead singer, Chris Martin, Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, and Will Champion. The four men have now produced their sixth studio album, Ghost Stories. The group first formed at the beginning of the 21st century and put out their first album, Parachutes. Their first album produced the massive, melodic hit, “Yellow”. Since then, the group has gone on to produce albums like; A Rush of Blood to the Head, X&Y, and Mylo Xyloto. From their albums have also come chart topping songs like; “Fix You”, “Viva La Vida” and “Paradise”. In their reign of stardom as one of the most popular British bands amongst a large scale of listeners, Coldplay does not disappoint in their newest album.

Coldplay announced the new arrival of their album by releasing a single from their eagerly anticipated work. In early March of 2014, Coldplay provided listeners with, “Magic”. The song became an instant hit as it contained all of the elements that popular Coldplay songs possess. Those attributes being, a melodic beat, meaningful lyrics, and Chris Martin’s soothing voice that fans love to hear. Coldplay continued to give fans more of what they loved when they released their second single, “Midnight”. Most recently, on May 5, Coldplay released a third single that was an instantaneous hit, “A Sky Full of Stars”. Much to the liking of loyal fans and listeners, the three singles provided a solid sampling of what fans should expect from the album. The wide variety in songs showed Coldplay’s wide variety of talents.

As recently publicized by the media, Chris Martin has been going through marital problems with wife of 10 years, Gwyneth Paltrow. Some label the newest album as Chris Martin’s “divorce album” from his wife. Through the lyrics in the songs, it shows that the events that have unfolded in Martin’s person life have inevitably transferred to his songs. The song that translates clearest for listeners is probably ‘Magic”. The song begins with the lines, “I call it magic when I'm with you / And I just got broken, broken into two / Still I call it magic, when I'm next to you”. The song continues on to say, “"And if you were to ask me / After all that we've been through / ‘Still believe in magic?' / Yes, I do.". Martin’s lyrics become most obvious if the listeners were to imagine themselves as Gwyneth Paltrow, it all becomes clear. Martin’s choice of lyrics depict the struggles that he is going through, blatantly portraying that his love life is slowly starting to crack and crumble much against his liking.
Coldplay’s sixth studio album, has received a very large amount of criticism for their new sound. Some die-hard Coldplay fans are upset over the band’s decision to work with electronic dance DJ, Avicii, to produce their song, “A Sky Full of Stars”. The song is very up-tempo. It is the only song on the able that strays from the typical Coldplay song. Also, it appears to be an outlier when compared to the other songs on the same album. However, the upbeat tone and melody provide a nice break for listeners from the redundant slow songs. Ironically, “A Sky Full of Stars” has proven to be very popular amongst music fans, as it claimed a spot within the American iTunes Top Ten when Coldplay decided to first release it as a single, even reaching number one. Others are upset over the complete stray from the typical “Coldplay formula” of making songs. The four musicians decided to venture into a different type of music as especially made clear in their song, “O”. This song, much like the others is very slow and is accompanied by mellow music, as well as Chris Martin’s voice almost whispering to you. However, what makes this song especially different is that the song is pushing on eight minutes long and after about four minutes, the music ceases and with about a minute or so left in the song a faint melody reappears in the background with an almost indistinguishable voice accompanying it.

In the end Coldplay’s newest album appears to be very successful as it sold over 300,000 copies in its first week of release. Personally, my favorite song on the album is “Ink” as it is a nice mixture between the slow tracks on the album and the up-tempo “A Sky Full of Stars”. It is also the closest song to all of Coldplay’s past hits. Ghost Stories continues to prove that Coldplay still has extreme potential for the future. More importantly, this album validates that Coldplay has an extensive range of mastered skills in the music industry that continues to excel them forward and to the top.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 9:28 pm:
Thorough review presenting reasons as to why this album is exceptional. I enjoy their new sound. And the artwork! By the way, my friend also LOVES "Ink". Great minds think alike.