5 Seconds of Summer by 5 Seconds of Summer | Teen Ink

5 Seconds of Summer by 5 Seconds of Summer

May 15, 2014
By Taylor Rupe BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
Taylor Rupe BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

5 Seconds of Summer or 5sos are a pop/rock punk band from Australia with four weird but awesome band mates. Luke Hemmings, lead vocals and guitar; Michael Clifford, vocals and guitar; Calum Hood, bass guitar and vocals; and Ashton Irwin, drums and vocals. They started out with just Luke, Michael, and Calum creating videos of them performing covers of songs and posting them on Luke’s YouTube account. Ashton later joined the band in December of 2011.

They created an EP called Unplugged and it reached number three on the Itunes chart in Australia. They were becoming more popular, but really hit it big internationally when One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson tweeted a link of a YouTube video “Gotta Get Out.” They were getting bigger when Niall Horan, also from One Direction, tweeted another link of a different YouTube video.

In February 2013, they announced they would be touring with One Direction on their Take Me Home worldwide tour. During a break from the tour 5sos had a headlining tour in their home country, Australia, that sold out in minutes. They once again announced that they would be touring with One Direction in their stadium tour Where We Are. They debuted a single in 2014 called “She Looks So Perfect” which has hit the world with an intensity that will hold for a while.