Destiny's Child - The Writing's On the Wall | Teen Ink

Destiny's Child - The Writing's On the Wall MAG

I neither enjoy nor purchase "music" by popstars like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera or R&B artists like ToniBraxton, so I did not expect to like the pop sound of Destiny's Child.

Thevideos for 1999's hits "Bug-A-Boo" and "Bills, Bills, Bills"caught my attention with their ludicrous costumes, which seemed to pay homage tothe glory days of Cher. But "Say My Name," the third release from thissophomore album, features not only rapid-fire lyrics excellently enunciated, butalso a catchy tune and evidence of actual musical talent. Although I usually viewartists who do not write their own music with disdain, I fell for thissong.

The album's first tune, a witty parody of "The Godfather,"is well-executed and begins the album creatively. The CD ends on a similar note,with a unique rendition of "Amazing Grace."

The rest of"Wall" is inconsistent. Tracks like "She Can't Love You" and"Hey Ladies" are virtually indistinguishable from typical R&B fare,though "So Good" and "Confessions" are bright spots, as arethe first three singles. The fourth single, "Jumpin' Jumpin'," whilewildly popular, is not representative of the group's abilities.

Uponfurther listening, I realized that "Bug-A-Boo" and "Bills, Bills,Bills" not only demonstrate similar vocal control and styling as "SayMy Name" but also deal with typical R&B subject matter (problems withmoney and relationships) in a unique and interesting way. The group avoids swearwords while asserting themselves as strong females, a theme that continues with"Independent Woman," the first single from their upcoming album of thesame name.

Although it is embarrassing to admit, I confess that Destiny'sChild is, indeed, good.