West Side Story soundtrack This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When I heard the original Broadway soundtrack to “West Side Story,” I was absolutely blown away.

As a music lover, the lyrics are pure gold. Even if I didn’t enjoy music as much as I do, I know I’d be repeating the songs’ catchy bits since these lyrics are fun, addictive and go hand in hand with the music.

As soon as I heard the voices, I was pleasantly surprised. Chita Rivera captures the essence of the fiery Anita, while soprano Carol Lawrence, who plays Maria, perfectly hits the notes.

Last, the plot is wonderful and full of life lessons. With a “Romeo and Juliet” theme, it is the story of star-crossed lovers who have sworn allegiance to rival gangs. The lessons are those of racism, love and death.

In short, this is perfect for anyone who enjoys music and dancing.

mplo said...
today at 10:01 am
West Side Story is a beautiful musical, both on stage and on screen. Ditto for the soundtracks to both the original Broadway stage play and the film version of West Side Story, as well.

Sunshineyday said...
I absolutely love the west side story soundtrack and movie! never saw it as a play on stage though. my favorite songs were "Officer Krupke" and "America", and the dancing was fantastic too! glad to know other kids out there like it too.

mplo replied...
today at 10:03 am
As someone who's seen West Side Story on both stage and screen (The movie is my all time favorite film, hands down!), I agree that both soundtracks are beautiful. Due to my intense love for the film West Side Story, I have a tough time picking out favorite scenes/songs, but I know that "America" and "Officer Krupke" were among the strongest in this musical.