Evanescence – This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In a world of over-processed voices and vulgar lyrics, finding real music is almost ­impossible, especially metal. Everywhere you turn, you see media drones smiling from the covers of CDs. Evanescence is a gothic metal act that has managed to stay true to itself and gained huge popularity. With its soulful blend of electric guitar, rhythmic piano, and mournful lyrics, it's easy to see why it's one of the best acts out there.

Amy Lee, the lead singer and songwriter, adds strong yet smooth vocals for a flawless finish. Though Evanescence is a relatively new band, they've gained a loyal following.

“Fallen” is by far the best and won them two Grammys for “Best New Artist” and “Best Hard Rock Performance” (for the song “Bring Me to Life”). It features other hits like “Going Under” and “My Last Breath.” These days, many songs are plagued by crude and pointless lyrics. The songs here reflect a multitude of emotions. Whether it's unrequited love or grief, Lee's voice portrays it.

I first picked up this CD because of the cover: a somewhat creepy picture of Lee's head in black and neon blue. Ever since, I've been enthralled by songs like “Tourniquet,” a stirring tale of betrayal and lost love, and “My Immortal,” an emotional blend of soft piano and somber lyrics.

Evanescence's songs appeal to gothic music fans everywhere, but they're not too hardcore for those unfamiliar with the genre. This album is truly a must-listen for anyone looking for something dark and emotive amidst a sea of substandard bubble-gum pop.

DreamAngelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 17 at 12:03 pm:
I'm Evanescence obsessed to say the least. I have all of the songs that can be found on iTunes on my phone. All 3 of their albums are amazing and so are their EPs. Good to know that real talent is still up and running in the music industry today.

Mollyimmortal83 said...
My absolute favorite band. It's a shame that my generation prefers to listen to vulgar lyrics without another thought.

mydeadsociety said...
a computer made famous? lol hello skrillex

Coffeecat3 said...

I agree, Many artists that are out there have zero talent. They have no musical ability whatsoever and I don't even know how they became famous.

I applaud your music taste. I love Evanescenes' music style Amy Lees' vocals.  

Cut-out-ur-eyesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
(To me) it sounds like a lot of the songs are about her sister's death. I love Evanescence, Amy is amazing.

chloe_garrett said...
EXACTLY RIGHT. For example- Tpain. what a pathetic person. A computer can be famous and sing better than a person.

knightly99 said...
Your review is really true. There's a lot of talentless people out there call themselves 'artists'. Evanescence is not one. And their music is awesome :) best metal band out there.

smagattack789 said...
beautiful band

musicprincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Tourniquet deals with sui.cide and whether or not they'll be forgiven and allowed into heaven (for those who have been wondering) and it's actually a cover song.

callie15 said...
Jun. 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm:
great review; the way you write really makes the reader want to listen to their music (although i've already heard their music before, and yes, they are very good!)

Fate98 said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 3:22 am:

*only

soz i'm a bad typest

Fate98 said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 3:20 am:
Amy Lee has the most powerful and beautiful voices that i could onle dream of having. The atmospher at an Evanescence gig is mezmorising. The way she captures the music and look of the band it fantastic

DownNDirtyCountryGirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 19, 2011 at 10:09 am:
Amy Lee sings about emotin. Take their song My Immortal for instance. She wrote that after a los very great to her. And what about Bring me to life? She wrote that about her feeling towards her former boyfriend. Amy Lee and the band write music from their personal experience.

Fallingxinxreverse said...
May 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm:

I just want to say that "Tourniquet" isn't about lost love at all.

It's simply about death. so.. yea..

Hope U. said...
Feb. 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm:

i always liked EVANESCENCE

she is so kool

September-Frost said...
I've always loved Evanescence! They rock

DarkAngelWishes said...
Evanescence, probably some of the most deep and amazing music ever, cant stop listening to them, they're my top band

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Evanscene is like a drug to me. I just cant have enough. lol (not that i do drugs) once i heard them, i couldnt sto listening!!!! very nice review(:

claire-baire said...
I first came to Evanescence when I was 10 years old and I fell in love with them. They have introduced me to new types of music like gothic and emo and metal. That is now my favorite genres.

CaeCae97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 17, 2011 at 8:41 pm :
That's pretty much where I stand actually.