Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge | Teen Ink

Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

First of all, let me say that I was never a huge fan of My Chemical Romance. Most of their fans are young and worship them like the high-school heartbreakers they are. I've even seen MCR live when opening for random acts, and they never hooked me. That said, imagine my astonishment when I actually enjoyed a few songs on their newest album, “Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge.”

The album begins with the incredibly hooky “Helena.” The lead singer has obviously gotten some voice training since the last album and overall, the band has greatly improved its production. However, by the refrain to “Give 'Em Hell, Kid” (which, by the way, has some very nice drum sequences), I feel like it was written for sing-alongs at a live show. Ugh.

And then, the album keeps going. And going, and going, and going. It keeps up with this Hot-Topic-esque, slightly dark formula of being obviously well-produced, but let's face it, kids, each song is difficult to differentiate from the next, and that gets tiresome.

The best thing “Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge” has going for it is the summery-type flavor in the first few songs ... until you actually listen to what they're singing, and then it becomes shallow, overproduced, and unoriginal, yet fun in a disposable, commercial way. The easy-to-sing choruses are fun until it becomes painfully obvious that there is simply no end! Don't rush out to buy this one.

Get_Sherlock BRONZE, Waynesboro, Mississippi

We all go a little crazy sometimes. Haven't you?

I miss them T^T I didn't want to kiss their feet or anything, but I love their music and wish they'd stayed together. I guess they had a bigger impact on me because in the days my grandmother was dying, it got played a lot, But that's just me.

rebeldiamond1313kd GOLD, Franklin, Tennessee

"If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see. You can find out first hand what it's like to be me!" -"The End." -My Chemical Romance

I agree, I love MCR, and the lyrics are very relatable if you've had your heart broken, are depressed, or have cut. And even if you haven;t experienced any of these things, it's nice to have some dark music out there to battle Taylor Swift and Jonas Brother's overly happy sappy junk that is brainwashing today's kids.

So three cheers for Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge!

on Apr. 7 2009 at 2:31 am
I don't know how other people feel or anything like that but I personally love MCR. I love Gerard Way's voice and every member of the band. To me, MCR is the kind of band where you feel like you can actually connect with the members of the band. They are actual people, not just a group that has been shaped by gossip. Does that make sense? Anyway, I love all of their CD's. Definitely worth the buy!