Jethro Tull “A Passion Play” | Teen Ink

Jethro Tull “A Passion Play” MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

There's no doubt that Jethro Tull is one of the most unique bands in the history of music. Their 1973 album, “A Passion Play,” is a prime example of their creative work.

With a running time of 45:11, there's dialogue spoken throughout, telling short stories interrupted by marvelous classical and jazz elements. A mix of dark humor, incredibly complex music, and strange lyrical meanings are all here. Lots of different instruments are heard - there's Ian Anderson's flute, of course, but also acoustic guitars, soprano and sopranino saxophones, electric guitar, piano, organ, synthesizer, drums, timpani, glockenspiel, and marimbas. The instruments really contribute to the liveliness of the play.

The lyrics are very poetic and dark. The stories are best described as passionate, brilliant and incredibly strange. A perfect example would be “The Story of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles,” which later was enhanced into a Quicktime video. You may find yourself confused, maybe even freaked out during the play, but that's the best part!

Lyrically and musically, this album is a one-track masterpiece. If you have the time, I strongly recommend listening to “A Passion Play.”