The Smashing Pumpkins “Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness” This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Take a trip through the human emotions with The Smashing Pumpkins. “Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness” will keep you spellbound, and with songs ranging from grandiose orchestra (“Tonight, Tonight”) to metal (“X.Y.U.”), all types of music fans will enjoy it.

Billy Corgan (vocalist, lyricist, guitarist, co-producer) weaves tales of insecurity, youth, and love on this two-disc set. The first disc, “Dawn To Dusk,” features angrier songs like the Pumpkins' biggest hit, “Bullet With Butterfly Wings.” The second disc focuses on more reflective songs. James Iha and Billy Corgan (guitar) fill the background while Jimmy Chamberlin (percussion) explores various styles, jumping from classical to modern. Corgan's distinctive, passionate vocals narrate the stories. The lyrics are practically poetry, bringing art and emotion to the album. In “Muzzle,” Billy Corgan begs the question, “Can you hear the words I'm singing in this song?”

This 1995 album is mesmerizing and stands the test of time. It was Grammy-nominated for Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best Alternative Music Performance; it debuted on the charts at number one and has sold over nine million copies. You will definitely listen to this one over and over again. “Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness” asks, “Can a rock band incorporate poetry and emotion?” and answers with a resounding “Yes!”

AllyInsomnia said...
Mar. 20 at 1:01 pm
I love this album!