Flyleaf – “Flyleaf” This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“I will break into your thoughts, with what’s written on my heart.” Lacey Mosely begins with high-pitched, smooth vocals, drawing you into the soft sound of her voice. However, this lead singer of the alternative-metal band, Flyleaf, shows just what her band is about with the roaring, angry growl that follows. Through the strength of Mosely’s voice, accompanied by guitar, bass, and drums, you live the stories portrayed and drown in the emotions. The lyrics are truthful and penetrating, grabbing your soul and forcing it to comprehend.

Noted as a breakout band of 2008 by Rolling Stone, Flyleaf and its self-titled debut album are going to have you at the ­repeat button, replaying the haunting songs until this music is the only thing in your mind’s playlist. Of the 11 compelling, mesmerizing tunes, the most well-known is “All Around Me.” It’s an exhilarating song with a catchy chorus. After hearing it on the radio, I was convinced to get the album, and I’m extremely satisfied with my decision.

The other singles are “I’m So Sick” and “Fully Alive.” Both songs incorporate lots of drumming, with quick beats and captivating melodies. Though the songs make you energized, the lyrics are deep and powerful, giving the songs both excitement and depth. The words are intense, penetrating stories of tragedy, allowing you to clearly visualize the meaning of the songs.

“Cassie,” an emotional song with a bold tune, is possibly the most touching. Telling of a girl who died for her faith in God, the lyrics move you in a way only possible with strong words and a strong voice. Mosely’s soul bleeds out onto the track, the force of her pain-filled screams echoing throughout, making the song even more powerful.

Though Flyleaf has obviously mastered hard-hitting, thrilling tunes, their platinum debut album includes ballad-type songs that are also worth a listen. “So I Thought” is an entrancing song with a soft melody and a calming feel to the melody and lyrics. “I tried to kill you, you tried to save me” are lines from “Perfect,” a song that grabs your attention with the lyrics and enhances the already brilliant CD.

Some tunes do sound similar in the sense that Mosely’s voice doesn’t vary from song to song, but as a whole, the album will become etched in your mind. With an exceptional vocalist and talented musicians, Flyleaf is a remarkable band that will be sure to crawl their way up to your list of favorites.

Unlike bands that incorporate good beats but have cliché lyrics that make you nauseous, or have somewhat meaningful words, yet a dreadful sound, Flyleaf is a rare find. With aggressive music and inspiring lyrics, every listen is an experience that will leave you counting the seconds until you can again fill your ears with their electrifying music.

JaceyCrimsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:36 am:
Great review, I saw Flyleaf live for a concert they were doing down an Air Force base so it was a little odd, but I loved hearing their music. You captured what they're all about in few words and I look forward to more of your reviews.

callie15 said...
Great review! I've been meaning to chech them out for a while, and now I'll be sure to give them a listen ;)

PointOfNoReturn said...
Flyleafffff. My love. My favorite music... she is so amazing and her songs truely make sense. You can make the songs religious if that's what suits you.. or even about someone you love if you aren't religous. <3 it

EmptySoul said...

Very well written review.

Flyleaf rocks!

malfunctionarymonkey13 said...
Nov. 12, 2010 at 11:11 am:
FLYLEAF IS MY LIFE!!!

VanityKiller replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 6:35 am :
same here! i adore them! haha :D

Madi L. said...
I LOVE FLYLEAF!!!!!

EmoToboeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:10 am:

It's funny to me, Christianity, although I was born and raised in it, it died to me.

Even though I disagree on those grounds, I still find her voice to be beautiful and the words inspiring...

Just cause I don't have faith, doesn't mean no one should ^-^

krissi.love7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 9:16 pm:
Well, I've known Flyleaf's music since I was seven, and I'm thirteen now. And since then I've been waiting for someone to feel the exact same way I did. They were my very first concert, and I love them. Good review!

alvina said...
this is a good review! i love flyleaf (i just got into them) and what youre saying is true well done!!

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Whats not to like? Certainly not the band or your review! Wonderful job.
God bless,
...,

PurpleMidnightThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
YES! FLYLEAF IS THE BEST BAND EVER. Their passion for God mixed with hard rock draws people to it, to find the deeper meaning to all of their songs. I GET TO GO TO THEIR CONCERT ON NOVEMBER 7 @ FOZ THEATRER IN BOULDER!!!!!

Carellyn T.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 18, 2009 at 3:48 am:
I LOVE FLYLEAF SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH HAVE YOU HEARD HER SCREAM? LOVE IT! that was beautifuly done!!!

Jessicaaaaa. replied...
Nov. 30, 2009 at 2:27 pm :
Yes their CD is really good and all, but they are HORRIBLE live. Mosely cannot sing live like she can in the studio. She just can't do it. It sounds like she's gargling Lysterine when she tries to scream live. It was bad. Hopefully she was sick that day, because they were horrible at that show...

PurpleMidnightThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:38 pm :
Well, in her defense, a lot of artists sound horrible live because they don't have the trainer with them to say, "Whoa, you are a half step too high." Plus, she might have been tired, tours are long.

krissi.love7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 9:18 pm :
That's true. But then again this album was in 2005, the same year I saw them, and her screaming was fine. So maybe it's all the years of going through the yelling.

Destiny M. said...
Jul. 14, 2009 at 9:52 pm:
flyleaf is my all-time favorite band. some of their songs are:
i'm so sick
perfect
fully alive
so i thought
sleepwalker
breathe today
whispering fingertips
tina
cassie
all around me
eyes to see
amy says
ocean waves
penholder
sorrow
life
broken wings
believe in dreams
stay (so far away so close)
again
red sam
and covers including
nine inch nail's somethin... (more »)

Megatron said...
Jul. 1, 2009 at 12:20 am:
I LOVE Flyleaf, and you did a great job on this review. It captured the feel of Flyleaf's music perfectly!

inspiredbynature said...
Jun. 27, 2009 at 2:34 am:
love, love, love flyleaf. they have amazing lyrics that have meaning with angry beats which make a perfect mix for when you have a sucky day. i love the story behind Cassy. Lacey rocks! you made me go out and buy the CD. I read this a few weeks ago and looked them up on Youtube, then went out and bought the CD. Now I'm hooked! Amazing job!

Lauren.Rachh:) said...
Apr. 18, 2009 at 2:15 am:
This was great.
Flyleaf is a great band and this review was very well written.
I loved your wide vocabulary and your creative terminology.
You sounded like a true critic writing.
I'm clapping with bright green mittins.