“Alpha” This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Sevendust’s sixth full-length album is purely remarkable. Their sound has been a staple of modern rock for nearly a decade. Lijon Witherspoon is one of few African-American lead singers of rock bands and performs in a passionate and inspirational way. If the song is intended to make you cry, you will cry. If the song is supposed to make you laugh, you will. Witherspoon brings emotionally overflowing lyrics and puts them into the songs flawlessly. It is essentially impossible to describe how amazing this band is unless you hear a track.

“Alpha” brings some good and steady rock. “Deathstar” is an amazing composition with sick guitar riffs, and Witherspoon sings in many low growls. “Driven” is a song that will get the blood pumping and serves as a terrific workout song. “Burn,” which is heartfelt and emotional, shows a much calmer side of Sevendust.

If you’re looking to get into rock, Sevendust could be your answer. They are constantly steady and are always coming out with fresh songs and new melodies.