Shadow of the Moon | Teen Ink

Shadow of the Moon MAG

So, you’re at the Renaissance Faire. You’ve looked at all the cute outfits, checked out the old-time CDs, and then you

notice music coming from the next tent. What would you do if you saw a group dressed in renaissance outfits, merrily playing guitars, violins, and penny whistles? If you’re someone who can’t stomach that, then I suggest reading this review cautiously.

While their genre is folk rock, Blackmore’s Night has been called a lot of things. They prefer the “medieval” moniker, and several of their songs do reflect an old-time period. Yet there are also a few songs and styles brought to this 1998 album that branch out and give it more of a well-rounded feeling with Arabian, Celtic, and Gypsy themes here and there. With wonderful vocals, guest performances, and great instrumentals, “Shadow of the Moon” is an awesome CD for the medieval and fantasy crowd.

Candice Night is the main vocalist. With little in her singing style to distinguish her from other female vocalists, she’s very pleasant. Her voice is clear, bright, and very sweet. At times, she can make it sound a bit harsher to complement the heavy drum beats, although since the CD is pretty soft, it’s more a matter of singing style than actual vocal strength.

Ritchie Blackmore, formerly of Deep Purple and Rainbow, brings the guitar to complement his wife’s singing. The style is remarkably different from Deep Purple’s. Almost all the songs are acoustic, and the few with an electric guitar are light.

A Deep Purple fan should approach “Shadow of the Moon” with an open mind, since Blackmore’s Night is nothing like Ritchie’s old band. The soft string backgrounds, flutes, penny whistles, and hand drums will disappoint the heavier rock crowd, but they fit amazingly well for this album’s style.