Nevermind by Nirvana | Teen Ink

Nevermind by Nirvana MAG

By Allison Phillips BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Allison Phillips BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

A simple born-and-raised Seattle band, Nirvana laid out a whole new red carpet for cultural rock bands, and its unique guitar and technical effects set it apart from any other band of the early ྖs.

Over the course of seven years and three albums, Nirvana proved to be unthinkably and surprisingly brilliant. Their second album, “Nevermind,” is the most rewarding to listen to. After its release in 1991, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” began blasting from CD players, boom boxes, and radios all over the world. Nirvana's drummer, Dave Grohl, created a beat that put the songs together. The distorted guitar sounds were “Seattle sound”-worthy and influential in the development of the grunge movement. Nirvana gave a whole new name to alternative rock.

This album's array of punk metal songs are legendary from top to bottom. “Come As You Are” is a rhythmic tune that is easygoing and was a Top 40 hit. “On a Plain” is a three-minute power surge. “Something in the Way” is a sweet song both musically and lyrically; it's truly something the Beach Boys would have been proud of. Nirvana was decades ahead of their time. I'm sure that “Nevermind” was never meant to change music history, but indeed it did.

“Nevermind” was certified as a gold album and for years the awards kept rolling in. Kurt Cobain's personal problems and tragic suicide naturally mirror the album's dark tone, but no matter how much anger or pain there is on “Nevermind,” Nirvana is a band that truly changed rock for all who chose to listen.

on Mar. 18 2014 at 7:58 pm
super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas

"You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out!"

Great read! Nevermind is certainly one of the greatest albums of the 90's.