Metallica – | Teen Ink

Metallica – MAG

Five years after the release of “St. Anger,” thrash metal band Metallica has released a new album, “Death Magnetic.” When making it, Metallica chose to go back to their roots and create an album that was thrash metal, rather than heavy metal or hard rock.

The biggest improvements this CD has made over “St. Anger” are a better snare drum that does not sound like a tin can, the inclusion of guitar ­solos, and vastly improved ­production.

Metallica has chosen to play more complex, multi-layered songs, as seen in their 1988 release “… And Justice For All.” The album is also structured like their 1980's releases and even includes their first instrumental in 20 years.

Most of the songs are fast, but they never get to the point where they become just noise. The first single, “The Day that Never Comes,” follows the same formula as their 1980's power ballads, starting slowly and melodically, but finishing fast and strong.

This is the first album that bass player Robert Trujillo has contributed on, and his influence shows. Trujillo plays a style akin to Cliff Burton, Metallica's former bassist who was tragically killed in a bus accident over 20 years ago, who was arguably the most influential member of Metallica during the 1980s.

“Death Magnetic” also represents another first for Metallica: Each member of the band contributed to every song. In the end this is a vast improvement over “St. Anger” and shows that even after 25 years, Metallica still has what it takes to make fast, aggressive music.

L.B.C.. BRONZE said...
L.B.C.. BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan

"Only you can be the change you want to see in the world." - Ghandi

Rock on! Metal forever!

on Jul. 2 2011 at 10:23 am
Silent_Artist SILVER, Selma, North Carolina

"One day I'm gonna run away and never come back and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master" - Jimmy The Rev Sullivan. Not much of a deep meaning but it makes me laugh.

Metallica is awesome. I didn't really like the load and reload labums, and I hated st. anger but death magnetic is pretty good. Still nothing beats 80's metallica.

on May. 5 2011 at 11:56 am
THE.REBEL.REBORN PLATINUM, Prentiss, Mississippi
ROCK ON DUDES ROCK ON

Yeah but ulrich cant drum.

HAHAHAHAHA those bands suck.

Pierson. said...
metallica is amazing. for "whom the bell tolls" has a sick intro.

jeffreyboyer83 GOLD, Providence, Rhode Island

"You should be the change you wish to see in life..."

Metallica is one of the greatest bands I have ever heard. And they are so good at crossing horror, with good music and actually make it sound spectacular. These guys are rock/metal gods in my book... Jeff

ME said...
on Aug. 21 2009 at 12:06 am
i reckon metallia is good, they;ve got good songs that i like nd like most of ya'll do but they're not as good as slipknot, trivium, lamb of god etc but yeah they're alright. -KEEP IT REAL PEEPS-

resilva BRONZE said...
resilva BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
Metallica deserve their place in the Rock

mettalica is the greatest band in the world and someday ill go to a li9ve concert of them i love mettalica its life!!!!

metallica is da bombdiggidy

JoelF said...
Mecha, Cliff knew a lot of music theory and had very eclectic taste, listening to everyone from The Eagles to Bach. The intro to "Damage Inc." was based off of a Bach piece, "Come Sweet Death," I think it was. But you're right, Hetfield and Ulrich did most of the song writing. Cliff did steer their direction a lot, though.

on Nov. 28 2008 at 4:46 am
i wouldn't call Cliff Burton the most influential member of Metallica by any means, "And Justice For All" was not too far removed from the earlier era and Hetfield and Ulrich wrote most of the songs anyway

dallas14! said...
omg! Everyone says "Metallica's back!". Uh...hello! They never left!

I love "The day that never comes"! The video for it rocks too!!!

:)))