Midnight Memories by One Direction | Teen Ink

Midnight Memories by One Direction MAG

By brillblonde GOLD, Thornton, Pennsylvania
brillblonde GOLD, Thornton, Pennsylvania

"Hold tight because shadows get lost in the light. And sometimes, fate and your dreams will collide"-Joe Brooks.
"Just give me a pen and I'll write my worries"- Ed Sheeran
"Only fools are satisfied"-Billy Joel

Hark! The beautiful boy band sings! Glory to “Midnight Memories”!

Worldwide phenomenon One Direction released their third album in three years, and it has everyone impressed. This pop band has captured our hearts once again. “Midnight Memories” racked up an impressive number-one spot in almost 100 countries – not bad for a band that formed just three years ago.

This album presents an edgier sound while keeping that classic boy band style. Pop and rock mix beautifully in the titular single “Midnight Memories.” Paired with songs like “Alive” and “Little Black Dress,” you can detect the band’s attempt at a more mature sound and lyrics. Contrasting their updated rock ’n’ roll songs are their contemporary ballads. Please hold your swooning until the end of the review.

Songs like “You & I” and “Half a Heart” will have you feeling like you just stepped into a cheesy love drama. And hey, no shame if you belt out those high notes like you were the real Zayn Malik. We understand. “Right Now” is one of those semi-ballads featuring both killer guitar and emotional lyrics.

Don’t worry, all you faithful pop fans, the band stays true to their pop roots with “Does He Know” and the accurately titled “Best Song Ever.” The ­former has lyrics like “Does he know you can move it like that? Does he know you’re out and I want’cha so bad?” that really showcase the boys’ maturing themes.

In classic 1D fashion, some of the songs are complete game changers. A round of applause for “Happily,” a One Direction twist on a Mumford and Sons sound. “Something Great” lives up to its name, with all-encompassing vocals and instruments that I can only describe as totally filling my soul. Yeah, I know how lame that sounds, but it’s true. Not to be forgotten, “Don’t Forget Where You Belong” is a road trip must-have. You can sing along – I won’t tell!

“Midnight Memories” is a holiday must-have for 1D fans and newcomers alike. Make sure you get yours!

on Dec. 16 2014 at 12:08 am
MJ_Styles SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
YAS!! OMG THEY ARE AMAZING! i love them cx 

on Jan. 8 2014 at 1:13 am
ThatAwsomePersonMolly BRONZE, Pheonix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
That was awesome! I totally agree