House of Balloons by The Weeknd | Teen Ink

House of Balloons by The Weeknd

September 23, 2013
By Anonymous

The Weeknd is an incredible and unique artist. The album that stands out the most to me is “House of Balloons.” The Weeknd produces electronic an urban genres including R&B and soul with dub step tones. In this album, he uses samples from old songs.

The Weeknd is not what parents would want their kids to be listening to but, his songs always have a meaning to them despite what he actually says in the song. The Weeknd is the type of artist that doesn’t care what he says. He says what’s on his mind and what he feels. He shares his experiences on life with drugs with us in his songs. Anybody could share the same life experiences as well, it’s not just him. For example, he has a song called “Coming Down,” In his song, he wants to admit something to his girlfriend but he’s stuck on what he wants to say or how to begin. He knows she won’t be happy with what he has to say but he wants to tell her anyway. In the song he says, “I guess that I could only say one thing, girl I been bad again…” He’s gone back to old addiction…drugs. He realizes he’s getting sucked into using again and he knows how she’s going to feel. He begins to lose focus on what really matters and that’s her. He forgets how much she means to him. He says, “Cause with this money comes problems…” He admits that having money causes problems and his only solution is drugs. He can’t help but, use them to clear his mind.

One piece of lyric that got to me in “Coming Down” was when he said “I always want you when I’m coming down.” It’s kind of obvious what he means by that if you knew actually how he was. But what he meant by that, was that every time that he comes down from his high he wants her. The fact that he is coming down makes him want her even more. When he’s high he regrets his feelings for her but that doesn’t necessarily mean that his feelings changed. The song overall makes you think about things that you can’t really get through on your own. His songs are the kind of songs that you go to when you need help with a situation that you can’t necessarily explain. He doesn’t encourage teenagers to use drugs, he just describes how drugs affect his relationships and explains his experiences that he has been through.

In the previous albums that The Weeknd has released are very similar. In all his albums he talks about drugs, girls and parties. They are life experiences that any person could have gone through regardless of the age. You just have to look past the fact that he talks about drugs. But what artist doesn’t? In a way, people would call him an inappropriate artist but you can’t judge a book by its cover. You have to look between the lines. Look deeper into the lyrics and realize that there is more to what he is saying. In a confusing way, his songs are relevant to all teens in America.

Teens use drugs every day at a young age. They could go through what he describes in his songs. Just by listening to a few songs teens could get a better understanding of what life with drugs is life. It’s not always bad and it’s not always good. Some people think in their heads that they need drugs to get past life. But fail to realize that it just makes life harder to survive and cope with. People may think they are erasing the pain but they’re not. Drugs are never an escape but, who would actually believe me.

Overall, I recommend The Weeknd’s “House of Balloons” and all his other albums. Not because his a good artist but for the fact that his music speaks to you and gives you the advice that somebody you know cant. His music can either help you or soothe you. You won’t be disappointed with the music that he produces. Also, he has the voice of an angel.