Hail to the King by Avenged Sevenfold This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After a three-year hiatus, Avenged Sevenfold is back with their long-awaited album “Hail to the King.” Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, the group decided to strip things down and go for a simpler approach, a major risk in the music industry. However, their efforts were not in vain, as “Hail to the King” may just be Avenged Sevenfold’s best album to date.

Diehard fans won’t be disappointed, because while the band has gone for a simpler, harder rock feel, every element of their style has been maintained. The album kicks off with “Shepherd of Fire,” featuring a slow, almost orchestral opening, followed by the classic Sevenfold style fans have come to love. From there, things only get hotter with the title track, “Hail to the King.” “Doing Time,” “This Means War,” and “Requiem” follow, each presenting a variety of riffs, rhythms, and guitar solos sure to induce instant head-banging.

After this, the album arrives at “Crimson Day,” a softer, more emotional piece. This stands out – the lyrics are beautiful and the overall feel is somber and almost sweet.

Then the album spirals back to classic Sevenfold with “Heretic,” “Coming Home,” and “Planets.” As with the first four songs, each is varied yet maintains Avenged Sevenfold’s style.

At the last spot on the album, but far from the least, we have “Acid Rain.” This track will turn the heads of most listeners. Instead of embracing a hard-rock vibe, “Acid Rain” is a slow, piano-based song. While it’s not the style Sevenfold fans have come to know and love, it’s beautiful and more than worth spamming the replay button for.

“Hail to the King” had monumental standards to live up to, especially after the long wait. However, it far exceeds all expectations from the moment you hit the play button. Every track is a new piece of amazing music, from the heavy-riff-based “This Means War” to the melodic and orchestral “Requiem” and the gorgeous “Acid Rain.”

Avenged Sevenfold has created another musical masterpiece; “Hail to the King” deserves every bit of praise it receives. I strongly recommend it to any Sevenfold fan, or rock fan in general, as the variety will appeal to all kinds of audiences. This is an absolute must-have.

StevenSchwope said...
Nov. 15 at 5:27 pm
Well done!  

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 15 at 5:22 pm
Ooh, they sound pretty cool! My friends are always talking about them, so I may just have to go listen to a bit of them! I love your writing style, and congrats on getting in the mag! XD

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 14 at 2:36 pm
Congrats for this getting published, Trace! You deserve it. Haha, what did I say about you being talented?  I just listened to one of their songs, and Avenged Sevenfold I think is one of my many, favorite bands now.  Thank you for sharing this, and again congrats!

east_of_adaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is my album omfg, i love A7X and your review makes me want to quit listening to the xx and go  right back to hail to the king~!

ShagunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 24, 2013 at 8:20 am
Thanks for that. I love Avenged Sevenfold but Muse and I are soulmates :)