La La La By Naughty Boy- Music Video review | Teen Ink

La La La By Naughty Boy- Music Video review

By Georgemoran SILVER, Gloucestershire, Other
Georgemoran SILVER, Gloucestershire, Other

When it rains- it pours; they have money for wars, but can’t feed the poor

Featuring a delightful deaf young boy with a Chow Chow puppy, a bizarre set of characters and a Wizard of Oz-like journey of discovery; the characters illustrate the theme of the song by covering their ears and singing ‘la la la’ when faced with verbal abuse: the boy who escapes from the haranguing of an older man, is handed his dog by a shaman, a spiritual voice, then recruits ‘Cement Man’; One day, he finds an old man who is being stoned by villagers while being taunted and ridiculed. By screaming, the boy resolves the situation and revives the old man's heart (in the video, by buying him a new heart) and a dancing wool-covered traffic cop, and then this small band head off from the city to the salt flats, and an unlikely destination…

A combination of the song and the little boy’s ear-covering and ‘la la la’s’ has already been a hit in Bolivia – with quite serious implications. The concept of verbal abuse is often trivialized but it is an issue which we mustn’t shy away from. This video gives this crisis much needed publicity and the innocence of the characters helps further the harshness of verbal abuse- it empowers the vulnerable and belittles the tyrannous. Surely it will not be long before it blows up over here too because the song and the gesture is as catchy as measles in Swansea.

This video completely defies the norm for music videos with a beautifully simple message to understand.