Random Access Memories by Daft Punk | Teen Ink

Random Access Memories by Daft Punk MAG

By AustinPeacock BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
AustinPeacock BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

The French electronic duo Daft Punk are known for the albums “Discovery,” “Human After All,” and scoring the movie “Tron: Legacy.” Needless to say, much hype surrounded the release of ­“Random Access Memories.” Given the collaborations with renowned artist Pharrell, Julian Casablancas, Paul Williams, and Todd Edwards, I'm not sure what I was expecting.

The album begins with “Give Life Back to Music,” which builds off a heavy rock tune, something not expected from an electro house band. As it builds, I'm hoping it won't continue in this style; it is not the Daft Punk I grew to love. Suddenly it shifts from the feeling of a rock concert to a funky disco club of the late ྂs. The beat is thick, and I can't help but move my body to it. Throughout, the four-minute song carries the same basic tune, however, slight additions such as a vocoder or an extra hi-hat keep the song alive and the listener interested.

The third track, “Giorgio by Moroder,” immediately catches my attention because it starts with a musician talking about the beginning of his music career. Then the songs shifts into a futuristic fast beat carried by a synthesizer. The oscillating sound reminds me of the theme from “Knight Rider” and makes me feel as if I'm speeding through the night in a light-filled city. Even though this track has a heavy electronic feel, it makes a transition back to a funky ྂs disco scene with the addition of a swingy piano and skilled drum beat.

“Lose Yourself to Dance” begins with a very appealing guitar riff. As the chorus starts with a juicy clap beat and Pharrell singing, “Lose yourself to dance,” I can't resist the urge to get up and move. This is another song that, for all six minutes, keeps me interested and hoping it won't end.

“Get Lucky” is definitely the song Daft Punk is most known for. It was chosen as a single and appeared on iconic shows such as “Saturday Night Live” and “Conan O'Brien.” It reminds me the most of Daft Punk's previous work.

In conclusion, I give “Random Access Memories” an 8.5/10. The imperfect score is due to one factor: repetition. After track eight, each song seems to just be the continuation of a previous one. Luckily the massive amount of funk and body-moving beats still give it a high score.

In an age of explicit rap beats, this psychedelic album allows listeners to cut loose, relax, and move freely. If you're looking to be moved, both emotionally and physically, this is one for you.