Pom Poms by The Jonas Brothers | Teen Ink

Pom Poms by The Jonas Brothers

By mckenzie.b GOLD, Naperville, Illinois
mckenzie.b GOLD, Naperville, Illinois

"When you become a writer, your heart and mind become divided between your many selves." -Unknown

The dream of every teenage girl was met when the Jonas Brother released their first single, Pom Poms, after three years of being dormant. Eldest brother, Kevin, went and got married while brothers Joe and Nick went and recorded their own solo albums, none reaching the success that the group had.
Yet, it seems that even though the lyrics are a bit more mature in a sexual sense compared to the brothers during their Disney days, they can't seem to stray away from their classic sound made famous in 2008. That may explain the lack of success for the single. The track only hit number 60 on the American Billboard Hot 100 and 57 on the Canadian Hot 100. The song didn't even manage to make the charts in the seven other countries it was released in.
This is the Jonas Brothers we're talking about. Obviously, the song will receive some high votes because of past popularity and teenage girls' infatuation, but the charts aren't lying. Once you gets past the catchiness of the backing music and really listen to the lyrics, it is clear that the Jo-Bros aren't singing anything meaningful at all. (Not that they had sung anything truly inspirational in the past, but one would think with age, more mature and meaningful lyrics would come along.) "Want you on my team/ want you like a kid just wants a milkshake". Really? This is not the kind of song that Kevin, Joe, and Nick are capable of writing. In fact, this is almost a joke compared to some of their past compositions. And yes - the brothers actually did write 'Pom Poms' themselves.
Age does not always bring maturity in the case of the Jonas Brothers. But if all you want in a song is a catchy beat and absolutely no lyrical meaning what-so-ever, then 'Pom Poms' is the song for you.