Born To Die by Lana Del Rey | Teen Ink

Born To Die by Lana Del Rey

By ahoughtonx17 BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
ahoughtonx17 BRONZE, Lancaster, Pennsylvania

"It seems that the more places I see and experience, the bigger I realize the world to be. The more I become aware of, the more I realize how relatively little I know of it, how many places I have still to go, how much more there is to learn."

On January 31st, Lana Del Rey released her debut album, Born To Die. The weekend after the release its, album had already climbed to number 3 on the Itunes chart. Despite Del Rey’s pitchy, and disorganized performance on Saturday Night Live hosted by Daniel Radcliffe January 14th, Lana Del Rey and her bad girl songs have been running from the cops, and up the charts.

Whether you love Lana Del Rey and her addiction to men, or are sick of her faux 60’s persona, there it’s hard denying the success behind Born To Die. The album begins with the title track, which sets the tone that remains throughout the rest of the songs in the album. Within the first four songs Del Rey expresses her love for living a fast life, one “only worthy of living if somebody is loving you.” All though each song in the album has a different beat, they all have a similar message. In each track, Del Rey describes wanting to live a wild life, fall madly in love with boys, and do dangerous and risky things, even though she is aware of the negative consequences. In Off To The Races sings about how she is going to stay with her bad old man because “Who else is gonna put up with me this way/I need you, I breathe you, I'll never leave you”. Del Rey’s obvious dependence on a man in order for happiness in her life continues on throughout the album, showing up again in songs such as Video Games, and Blue Jeans. In Blue Jeans, Del Rey describes in what her mind is the ultimate pain, being left by the boy she loves. She sings “But when you walked out that door a piece of me died.” The consequences Lana Del Rey’s dangerous and fabulous life are finally all displayed in the powerful last track, This Is What Makes Us Girls. The song serves as almost a final caution label to listeners, as she finally brings to light the risks of living a life running from the cops in a black bikini top, drinking with the boss, and table dancing at the local dive. Whether you find Born to Die the ‘baddest’, or the ‘bestest’, It is clear the 2012 has started off as the year of Blue Jeans, white shirts, and Lana Del Rey.

A review of artist Lana Del Rey's first album, Born to Die. (Although Lizzy Grant, the woman behind Lana, had released under his name for investigator. This article was also published on Feb. 23the 2013 in thee A 6/7 of Freestyle of thee Lancaster Intelligencer/ New Era Saturday Paper( This is also called thee 'teen section'). *Sometimes my editor from the Newspaper edits/ removes tweaks from our articles to make them fit on the page, or just etc. Hope everyone enjoys!