Nas – “Illmatic” This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Nasir Jones, known as Nas, is one of the greatest emcees of all time. His albums are considered classics by many hip-hop critics. This political artist uses his knowledge of the world to incorporate intelligent lyrics in his work. Nas is well respected by other rap artists – and rightfully so. He has blessed listeners with his work for over 10 years.

Nas’s most influential album is a gem titled “Illmatic.” From the production to the beats to the lyricism, everything is well constructed and polished. The best song in my opinion is “NY State of Mind.” It’s filled with metaphors and similes along with a beat that gives a backbone to the track. “Illmatic,” without a doubt, is one the greatest hip-hop albums of all time.

Nas’s style is considered East Coast rap since he hails from New York. His lyrics are ­influenced by his life experiences, and each track tells a story. “Illmatic” displays Nas’s struggles, high points, and all the in-betweens.

“Illmatic” was released in 1994. Nas’s album is astonishing for an artist’s debut. For 14 years, he hasn’t managed to top it. Neither has any other emcee. Not to mention, the New York native was just 19 when this ­album was ­released.

This album is unquestionably a classic that every hip-hop fan should have. Honestly, there are no downfalls in this album. Everything about it is as close to perfect as you can get. I would rate it a 9.9. The only reason it doesn’t get a 10 is I believe nothing in the world is perfect.

Tiffy4life said...
Dec. 19, 2011 at 11:02 am
NAS was one of the greatest! <3

Alex C. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So glad someone here is reviewing some good, non-mainstream music.

everthought said...
he was good! haha dissed by Tupac tho

MDM23 said...
no doubt one of the best albums ever