Take Me Home by One Direction | Teen Ink

Take Me Home by One Direction MAG

January 24, 2013
By Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh


“Take Me Home”? More like Throw Me Out. The second album by popular Brit­ish boy band, One Direction, was met with much anticipation from screaming teenage girls. Sadly, it does not meet the hype.

It doesn't live up to “Up All Night.” “Take Me Home” is more mechanical. The rhythm is unsophisticated. Simply put, it's a disappointment.

The album doesn't take any particular vocal risks, and the boys' voices are essentially ­interchangeable, with the exception of Zayn Malik, who ­experiences a few breakout ­moments.

As if the one voice for five people isn't terrible enough, One Direction fuels the fire with ridiculous lyrics. “I can't compete with your boyfriend/ He's got 27 tattoos,” Louis Tomlinson croons in “I Would.”

One really can't blame them for the concepts in the songs. In the world of boy bands, there really isn't much to sing about, as exemplified in the lyrics of “Kiss You.” “If you don't want to take it slow/And you just wanna take me home/Baby say yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.”

One Direction sees no reason to get off their merry-go-round of incredibly cheesy, sappy love songs. Why should they? People are buying the album, right?

The horrible fact is that One Direction wants to be taken ­seriously. They hope “Little Things,” an Ed Sheeran collaboration, will do this for them. This is the one song that attempts to diverge from their current path, but unfortunately it falls flat. The lyrics are laughably awkward in the group's hands.

However, with lines like “You never want to know how much you weigh/You still have to squeeze into your jeans,” it's hard to take them seriously.

If this is their best attempt at a meaningful song, they should stick with their generic pop.

“Take Me Home” has half-baked ballads that attempt to, but never do, become the new Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul. The album, available in normal and yearbook editions, is an absolute waste of a perfectly good hour.

In conclusion, One Direction dug their own grave with this vocally and lyrically lacking sophomore album. It's a random mix of upbeat songs with a few ballads thrown in. “Take Me Home” is a forgettable mash of nonsensical lyrics that never seem to match their peppy music.


The author's comments:
It's not that I hate One Direction, it's just I feel "Take Me Home" is a bit repetitive and nonsensical.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 23 comments.


on May. 19 2015 at 12:03 pm
Lysander PLATINUM, Bangalore, Other
40 articles 0 photos 87 comments

Favorite Quote:
I slay.

dats a really honest review and i really respect dat despite being a fan of 1D (not d too crazy bout 1D fan) And wow ur Indian same here........

Klammyt GOLD said...
on Jun. 19 2014 at 12:37 pm
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

That was directed toward Mckay btw

Klammyt GOLD said...
on Jun. 19 2014 at 12:35 pm
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

LOL no that's not what I meant. I meant to have this string of comments and arguements involving me and the 1D fan deleted. Thanks for sticking up for me, it really means a lot :)

Mckay ELITE said...
on Jun. 18 2014 at 8:09 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
146 articles 0 photos 2230 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

First of all, I have all right to be judgemental and biased because it's a comment expressing my opinion.    I believe this disproves your whole point in this whole discussion. You agree that you have a right to be biased. However, you were angered that the writer of this article was allegedly biased and judgmental? Seems hypocritical to me.   Secondly, "judgemental" is the way it's spelt.    Ummm...yeah, if you enjoy using the second form of spelling a word. To quote: "Look it up." 

Mckay ELITE said...
on Jun. 18 2014 at 12:14 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
146 articles 0 photos 2230 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

You shouldn't request to delete the article. You'd be giving into this other person's opinion, thereby conceding to his/her whole argument and proving their point. 

Klammyt GOLD said...
on Jun. 17 2014 at 12:27 am
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

Haha yeah, it's been really melodramatic, I just get very defensive over my work :P I'm requesting to have the whole thing deleted, so I don't have to deal with all that every time I open the article.

Klammyt GOLD said...
on Jun. 17 2014 at 12:25 am
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

Thank you so much!

JRaye PLATINUM said...
on Jun. 16 2014 at 6:36 pm
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan
43 articles 10 photos 523 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

This is a great article! You're very clear in your opinions, you have legit arguments to back them up, and your voice is smart and professional. Really great! Keep it up! :D

on Jun. 16 2014 at 10:40 am
priya96411 GOLD, Siliguri, Other
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

First of all, I have all right to be judgemental and biased because it's a comment expressing my opinion. I'm not writing an article which will get published in a magazine and perhaps influence the minds of a lot of people. I'm posting a simple, and very personal comment. Secondly, "judgemental" is the way it's spelt. Look it up. Oh, and "spelt" is a word, too--in British English. Thirdly, I expressed very clearly that I do not wish to continue the argument but when somebody replies saying anything that's wrong and which they can use later to say, "Oh, I shut that b**ch up all right," I just feel the need the need to reply.

Mckay ELITE said...
on Jun. 15 2014 at 9:24 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
146 articles 0 photos 2230 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

It's not my place to butt into this argument. Nevertheless, I've been following it as if it were some Wives of Atlanta melodrama over nothing at all, really. The whole purpose of a review is to express the opinion of the reviewer: biased or not, who's to know? I felt that at times Klammyt did sound harsh; however, every point she/he made were on point. (And I'm not a 1D fan or hater. I do enjoy their music sometimes.) Yet, Klammyt did point out that One Direction isn't a total load of cr*p. In the second paragraph, Klammyt did point out that the second album wasn't as good as the first. That does happen to most artist. Your second isn't always better then your first (Blondie, Greenday, Foster the People, Lady Gaga, etc.). Sometimes, it's opposite (Lana del Rey, and so on.) Furthermore, he/she complimented Zayn's voice. And to point out one big thing, this is a published article.  Love1dcrazily, if anyone came off as biased, it'd be you. "I have nothing more to say to a stupid, judgemental, biased person." (By the way, judgmental was mispelled. >.>) You shouldn't attack someone because they don't have the same taste in music or in any other thing as you do. I'm not attacking any one of you. Personally, I think it's tedious to continue this argument. It's petty on both parts. 

on Jun. 13 2014 at 9:20 pm
priya96411 GOLD, Siliguri, Other
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's funny how you actually re-read those comments and posted second (and even third) replies on them, despite my expressing my wish to not engage in further argument with you. If I had the same emotional maturity as you, then I would probably take time off college, studying, my writing course and article submissions and re-read your comments, draft up replies to them, confirm the validity of each and every thing you've said, and correct your grammatical errors. But unlike you, a "very busy person" I do not have the time for that. I'm too busy with the aforementioned and with trying to earn money to pay for my writing course. Anyway, as I've really said before, let's stop this argument. It's beginning to really anger me now.

on May. 13 2014 at 9:05 pm
priya96411 GOLD, Siliguri, Other
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

You use your 15 minute breaks between studying and homeowrk to reply, you said. So, how many times a month do you get such a break? Once? Twice? What a pity. And, if you actually took any interest at all in Indian politics, then you'd know that nobody evr refers to Rahul Gandhi as merely "Gandhi". The word is used to refer to the family. He's simply called Rahul. And about the question, asking that is actually a minor offense, and were you in India, I could have got the authorities latched on to you and impose a fine on you. The fine should be about an equivalent of about 25 US dollars. Now, it's obvious from the way you reply that you don't type it all out in two minutes. You play with words, frame all your researched material into curious combinations, and even Italicise them. I absolutely refuse to believe that you just simultaneously thought all of that up and typed it in less than two miutes, during your 15-minute breaks which seem to come what, once a month? And now, finally, since it's apparent that you're a silly, immature girl, (which is apparent from your interests--"Hunger Games", "Divergent" and J.K.Rowling, and the fact that you can't seem to vote yet) please stop replying to me. I have no interest whatsoever in continuing further argument with a person who is obviously younger and of lesser mental capability than me (which is apparent from the fact that you take a month to draft your answers, and research about whatever I've said. What a pity.)

Klammyt GOLD said...
on May. 11 2014 at 1:50 pm
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

No you really have no way of finding out because the purpose of these usernames are to prevent people from finding out my identity and where I go to school, etc. I actually know a lot about the education system in India, but my information may be outdated, as it came from my parents, who went to school there in the '70s and '80s. I use my 15 minute breaks between studying and doing homework to reply to your comments.It literally takes me two minutes to type out these comments, so your argument is invalid. It's great that you're an eligible voter — Modi or Gandhi? Yes, I keep up with Indian politics, because, well, I care about global issues. Wow, you have FOUR milestone exams and three exams per year and homework due every other day and a perseverence grade. Congratulations. If you didn't think I had the "brains" to comprehend any of what you just said, then why did you type it out. That would have been an insult to your intelligence. You apparently committed this knowingly, which makes me wonder about the strength of your intelligence.

on May. 6 2014 at 11:32 am
priya96411 GOLD, Siliguri, Other
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, reading those statistics was a wonderful experience, but what do you really wish to prove with that? You're going on about what a big paper it is, and well, I really have no wa of finding out, do I? You didn't name your school, or your paper, or, for that matter, I don't even know your name. You seem to have taken all the time in the world to try and find out about the education system in India (and you've still got it wrong), and all that meandering and trying to show me down has really taken you nowhere, you know. Great to see that despite your crazy schedule--with school and all, to determine how your life will be--you could manage to type out such an awfully long comment. And oh, should I point out, here in India we have unit tests each week which determine the exam results which, in turn, determine our career. Also, we have three exams each year. We have FOUR milestone examinations during our school life. We have homework every other day which gets graded, and the result goes in to determine our perseverence grade which is quite important in a CV. But oh well, why am I even saying all this? You obviously don't have the brains to comprehend any of it. You're talking to ME like I'm a sixteen year old. For your information, I'm not. You're writing for a high school newspaper, which shows that you're still in school. Well, I've finished school, finished a year of college, and am an eligible voter. So, I think I can say confidently that I am more than just a silly fangirl, which is what your comment seemed to imply.

Klammyt GOLD said...
on May. 4 2014 at 6:42 pm
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

It took me nearly a month to reply because I have other things in my life besides Teen Ink, like high school, which in turn influences what college you get into, which pretty much determines the quality of the rest of your life. In India, you have two exams: a 10th grade board exam and an exam to get into a university. In the United States, your entire life can depend on a 10 point homework assignment. There is actually not a world of difference between the three, there are minute differences, but they essentially add up to the same thing. Nor is there a "big, wide world" of difference between our #1 nationally ranked school paper and a city-wide paper; in fact, I would go so far as to say that our paper is better than my city's paper, which circulates to around 2 million people. Yes, you read that number right. I do not appreciate you writing to me as if I was some idiotic seventh grader, when I am in fact the copy editor of the best high school paper in the country. Our high school is one of the most competitive schools in the country, with our journalism program accepting only 10 percent of its applicants, who are generally from the top 10 percent of writers at our school. Check the statistics if you don't believe me — we sent 17 people to Stanford last year. Your attempt to make me feel small is actually laughable — I won second place in a national writing competition for expressing my opinion, and so I feel secure enough in myself that an obsessive fangirl halfway across the globe does not threaten my self-esteem. The very fact that this article was published in Teen Ink shows us something, doesn't it? Look, I am not trying to say that your opinion is wrong — it cannot be wrong by virtue of the fact that it is an opinion. I just take great offense at you calling me a "stupid, judgemental, biased" person when I am just trying to express mine. Oh, and believe me, I would never take that as an apology. As always, thank you for taking the time to comment. -Klammyt

Klammyt GOLD said...
on May. 4 2014 at 6:24 pm
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

dailywritingtips.com/7-tips-for-writing-a-film-review/ Please read #2 (yes, it is a film review, but all entertainment reviews follow the same template). It took me nearly a month to reply because I have things going on in my life that do not revolve around Teen Ink. Believe me or not, I have work — actual school work that determines my grades and where I go to college and my the quality of my life in general. In India, you take a 10th grade board exam and then individual college entrance exams to determine your academic success. In the United States, our lives can depend on one 10 point homework assignment. If you read our paper, you will realize that there is not actually a "big, wide world" of difference between the #1 ranked high school paper in the country and a national level newspaper in the United States, let alone India. The quality of our stories are better than even my city's official newspapers, and I live in a city of 2 million people. The interview process to get on the staff of our paper is stringent, with only about 5 out of 50 people who try out getting admitted on staff, and those 50 people are generally the best writers in our school, which incidentally sent 17 people to Stanford last year. I do not appreciate you writing to me as if I was a child, because I can bet that I am older than you, at least in maturity, and in writing skill. Your attempt to make me feel small is actually laughable, because I am secure enough in my own abilities to know that I do not need your validation for anything I do. Well, the very fact that this article was published in Teen Ink shows us something, doesn't it? I have come in second place in a national journalistic writing competition, so I can pretty safely say that I am extremely good at what I do. Look, I am not trying to say that your opinion is wrong, because an opinion cannot be wrong by virtue of the fact that it is, in fact, an opinion. I am merely pointing out that it is unfair of you to to call me a "stupid, judgemental, biased" person for expressing mine. As always, thank you for taking the time to comment. -Klammyt

on May. 1 2014 at 11:01 am
priya96411 GOLD, Siliguri, Other
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, the very fact that you took nearly a month to reply to the comment shows us something, doesn't it? Anyway, moving on to real matters, I think that YOU aren't understanding the fact that a review is not a bias or an opinion. There is a world of difference between the three, and I don't see how you can get confused between them. Also, from what you've said, it appears as though you are quite young and have got articles published mostly in high school newspapers. There is another big, wide world of difference between a newspaper and a "high school" newspaper. We don't have this tradition of high school newspapers in india as yet, but if we did, I feel pretty confident that it would be infinitely easier to get an article published in there as compared to a national-level daily. I've driven home my point and the ony other thing I want to say is that I appreciate the use of civil language on your side. usually arguments tend to get dirty, but you're at least trying to keep the sarcasm out, which is more than I can say about a lot of people, including myself. That being said, I don't regret anything I've said so far, so please don't take this last paragraph as an apology; it most certainly isn't one.

Klammyt GOLD said...
on May. 1 2014 at 12:19 am
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

I am not joking; actually, I am a very serious person. What is bias if not an opinion? don't think you get the point that reviews are opinions. When I write a review, I am expressing my own opinion. I have gotten my own pieces published in a few papers in the United States, and I was recently elected the copy editor of the best high school newspaper in the country, so please do not pull that card. If you haven't noticed yet, this review was published by Teen Ink, which means that someone must have thought my review was in fact a review. But I am curious — in what universe is knowing what a review "is" going to make or break my future? I believe in myself and I have confidence in my writing abilities, so please, reserve your luck and best wishes for someone who actually needs it. As always, thanks for taking the time to comment. -Klammyt

Klammyt GOLD said...
on Apr. 16 2014 at 8:45 pm
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California
17 articles 1 photo 47 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

Please don't pull the "India" card on me. I am Indian. And I have gotten published in a few newspapers in the United States. In fact, our school newspaper is the best in the nation and I have won awards for my opinion pieces. Please keep your good luck wishes for someone else who actually needs them, because I definitely do not. Try starving children in Africa. Actually, don't. I would rather they did not grow up not knowing what a review is, since that seems to be the most important thing in life. I am not saying that you are a "small time wannabe" (note: "small time" is not hyphenated) for commenting on my post, I actually really appreciate it. I am not saying that I look down on you because you don't have a regular TeenInk account — hell, I haven't published a piece since January or February — but I see serious flaws in your logic. I don't think you seem to understand that reviews are opinions. I don't know why you think I have not listened to the album (my ears were dying the whole time) when I have quoted lyrics from the song and described the music, but then again, you are entitled to your own opinion and your review of my article. Do you see the similarities? I don't know if you've been to the site Rotten Tomatoes, but there are reasons why movies get 11% ratings. It is because they are bad, but some number of people, probably fangirls who spend most of their free time looking at Alex Pettyfer's abs instead of his acting, think that those movies are great simply because Alex Pettyfer is in them. I feel that you fall into that category. I am not here to criticize your appalling taste in music or your immaturity, I am merely here to state my opinion and to point out the flaws in yours, so that when you go all directioner on someone else, you will be able to make a more sound argument. I think that this is what they mean by public service. -Klammyt

on Apr. 6 2014 at 2:09 am
priya96411 GOLD, Siliguri, Other
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Are you JOKING? I am making myself seem idiotic? Dude, I know what reviews are supposed to be. I've got a few published in newspapers in India. Just because I've got an account on Teen Ink and took the time to comment on your stupid post doesn't automatically make me a small-time wannabe. Reviews are supposed to be non-judgemental, to the point and accurate. If you seriously think that reviews are meant to be biased, then I can't even wish you all the best for your future, mate, because all the luck in the world can't help you. Too bad for you.