Take Me Home by One Direction This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Take Me Home”? More like Throw Me Out. The second album by popular Brit­ish boy band, One Direction, was met with much anticipation from screaming teenage girls. Sadly, it does not meet the hype.

It doesn't live up to “Up All Night.” “Take Me Home” is more mechanical. The rhythm is unsophisticated. Simply put, it's a disappointment.

The album doesn't take any particular vocal risks, and the boys' voices are essentially ­interchangeable, with the exception of Zayn Malik, who ­experiences a few breakout ­moments.

As if the one voice for five people isn't terrible enough, One Direction fuels the fire with ridiculous lyrics. “I can't compete with your boyfriend/ He's got 27 tattoos,” Louis Tomlinson croons in “I Would.”

One really can't blame them for the concepts in the songs. In the world of boy bands, there really isn't much to sing about, as exemplified in the lyrics of “Kiss You.” “If you don't want to take it slow/And you just wanna take me home/Baby say yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.”

One Direction sees no reason to get off their merry-go-round of incredibly cheesy, sappy love songs. Why should they? People are buying the album, right?

The horrible fact is that One Direction wants to be taken ­seriously. They hope “Little Things,” an Ed Sheeran collaboration, will do this for them. This is the one song that attempts to diverge from their current path, but unfortunately it falls flat. The lyrics are laughably awkward in the group's hands.

However, with lines like “You never want to know how much you weigh/You still have to squeeze into your jeans,” it's hard to take them seriously.

If this is their best attempt at a meaningful song, they should stick with their generic pop.

“Take Me Home” has half-baked ballads that attempt to, but never do, become the new Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul. The album, available in normal and yearbook editions, is an absolute waste of a perfectly good hour.

In conclusion, One Direction dug their own grave with this vocally and lyrically lacking sophomore album. It's a random mix of upbeat songs with a few ballads thrown in. “Take Me Home” is a forgettable mash of nonsensical lyrics that never seem to match their peppy music.

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 16 at 6:36 pm:
This is a great article! You're very clear in your opinions, you have legit arguments to back them up, and your voice is smart and professional. Really great! Keep it up! :D

KlammytThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 17 at 12:25 am :
Thank you so much!

love1dcrazily said...
Jun. 16 at 10:40 am:
First of all, I have all right to be judgemental and biased because it's a comment expressing my opinion. I'm not writing an article which will get published in a magazine and perhaps influence the minds of a lot of people. I'm posting a simple, and very personal comment. Secondly, "judgemental" is the way it's spelt. Look it up. Oh, and "spelt" is a word, too--in British English. Thirdly, I expressed very clearly that I do not wish to contin... (more »)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 18 at 8:09 pm :
First of all, I have all right to be judgemental and biased because it's a comment expressing my opinion.    I believe this disproves your whole point in this whole discussion. You agree that you have a right to be biased. However, you were angered that the writer of this article was allegedly biased and judgmental? Seems hypocritical to me.   Secondly, "judgemental" is the way it's spelt.    ... (more »)

KlammytThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 5 at 1:36 pm:
LOL omg I knew that this would happen :P I think a review is ALLOWED to be biased by the fact that it is a REVIEW. Reviews are solely based on the opinion of the author, and I personally think that the album sucks. I think that it is manufactured and completely disingenuous. Obviously, you have your own opinion, and I will give you that, but there is no need to go around calling people stupid if someone does not agree with you. And I advise you to look up the meaning of "review" before... (more »)

love1dcrazily said...
Apr. 6 at 2:09 am:
Are you JOKING? I am making myself seem idiotic? Dude, I know what reviews are supposed to be. I've got a few published in newspapers in India. Just because I've got an account on Teen Ink and took the time to comment on your stupid post doesn't automatically make me a small-time wannabe. Reviews are supposed to be non-judgemental, to the point and accurate. If you seriously think that reviews are meant to be biased, then I can't even wish you all the best for your future, mate... (more »)

Apr. 16 at 8:45 pm:
Please don't pull the "India" card on me. I am Indian. And I have gotten published in a few newspapers in the United States. In fact, our school newspaper is the best in the nation and I have won awards for my opinion pieces. Please keep your good luck wishes for someone else who actually needs them, because I definitely do not. Try starving children in Africa. Actually, don't. I would rather they did not grow up not knowing what a review is, since that seems to be the... (more »)

May 1 at 12:19 am:
I am not joking; actually, I am a very serious person. What is bias if not an opinion? don't think you get the point that reviews are opinions. When I write a review, I am expressing my own opinion. I have gotten my own pieces published in a few papers in the United States, and I was recently elected the copy editor of the best high school newspaper in the country, so please do not pull that card. If you haven't noticed yet, this review was published by Teen Ink, which means that someone... (more »)

love1dcrazily said...
May 1 at 11:01 am:
Well, the very fact that you took nearly a month to reply to the comment shows us something, doesn't it? Anyway, moving on to real matters, I think that YOU aren't understanding the fact that a review is not a bias or an opinion. There is a world of difference between the three, and I don't see how you can get confused between them. Also, from what you've said, it appears as though you are quite young and have got articles published mostly in high school newspapers. There is ... (more »)

May 4 at 6:24 pm:
dailywritingtips.com/7-tips-for-writing-a-film-review/ Please read #2 (yes, it is a film review, but all entertainment reviews follow the same template). It took me nearly a month to reply because I have things going on in my life that do not revolve around Teen Ink. Believe me or not, I have work — actual school work that determines my grades and where I go to college and my the quality of my life in general. In India, you take a 10th grade board exam and then individual college entrance ... (more »)

May 4 at 6:42 pm:
It took me nearly a month to reply because I have other things in my life besides Teen Ink, like high school, which in turn influences what college you get into, which pretty much determines the quality of the rest of your life. In India, you have two exams: a 10th grade board exam and an exam to get into a university. In the United States, your entire life can depend on a 10 point homework assignment. There is actually not a world of difference between the three, there are minute differences, b... (more »)

love1dcrazily said...
May 6 at 11:32 am:
Well, reading those statistics was a wonderful experience, but what do you really wish to prove with that? You're going on about what a big paper it is, and well, I really have no wa of finding out, do I? You didn't name your school, or your paper, or, for that matter, I don't even know your name. You seem to have taken all the time in the world to try and find out about the education system in India (and you've still got it wrong), and all that meandering and trying to show me d... (more »)

May 11 at 1:50 pm:
No you really have no way of finding out because the purpose of these usernames are to prevent people from finding out my identity and where I go to school, etc. I actually know a lot about the education system in India, but my information may be outdated, as it came from my parents, who went to school there in the '70s and '80s. I use my 15 minute breaks between studying and doing homework to reply to your comments.It literally takes me two minutes to type out these comments, so your ar... (more »)

love1dcrazily said...
May 13 at 9:05 pm:
You use your 15 minute breaks between studying and homeowrk to reply, you said. So, how many times a month do you get such a break? Once? Twice? What a pity. And, if you actually took any interest at all in Indian politics, then you'd know that nobody evr refers to Rahul Gandhi as merely "Gandhi". The word is used to refer to the family. He's simply called Rahul. And about the question, asking that is actually a minor offense, and were you in India, I could have got the autho... (more »)

love1dcrazily said...
Jun. 13 at 9:20 pm:
It's funny how you actually re-read those comments and posted second (and even third) replies on them, despite my expressing my wish to not engage in further argument with you. If I had the same emotional maturity as you, then I would probably take time off college, studying, my writing course and article submissions and re-read your comments, draft up replies to them, confirm the validity of each and every thing you've said, and correct your grammatical errors. But unlike you, a &qu... (more »)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 15 at 9:24 pm:
It's not my place to butt into this argument. Nevertheless, I've been following it as if it were some Wives of Atlanta melodrama over nothing at all, really. The whole purpose of a review is to express the opinion of the reviewer: biased or not, who's to know? I felt that at times Klammyt did sound harsh; however, every point she/he made were on point. (And I'm not a 1D fan or hater. I do enjoy their music sometimes.) Yet, Klammyt did point out that One Direction isn't a tota... (more »)

Jun. 17 at 12:27 am:
Haha yeah, it's been really melodramatic, I just get very defensive over my work :P I'm requesting to have the whole thing deleted, so I don't have to deal with all that every time I open the article.

Jun. 18 at 12:14 pm:
You shouldn't request to delete the article. You'd be giving into this other person's opinion, thereby conceding to his/her whole argument and proving their point. 

Jun. 19 at 12:35 pm:
LOL no that's not what I meant. I meant to have this string of comments and arguements involving me and the 1D fan deleted. Thanks for sticking up for me, it really means a lot :)

Jun. 19 at 12:37 pm:
That was directed toward Mckay btw