The Harold Song by Ke$ha | Teen Ink

The Harold Song by Ke$ha

By JaceyCrims BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
JaceyCrims BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

We all have our personal hells, but it's only when you can find your own heaven you'll make it through.

When I first heard this song, I didn’t quite believe that it came from the same artist that had came to the public eye by singing “Tik Tok”. Ke$ha had finally broken the sound barrier to an indie-alternative rock/country lover’s heart and to me it’s a good thing. When an artist has a variety, they’re able to draw in different crowds. Rather than singing about how she woke up in a tub and brushes her teeth with whiskey, the pop star shows a more emotional side. “I miss your soft lips/I miss your white sheets/I miss the scratch of your unshaved face on my cheek,” for me at least, hits home because I lost someone I loved and I miss him more than anything - it wasn't a break up, he passed away so I miss even the smallest things.

To me, that is what I picture the song meaning about. My friend on the other hand, views it as a break up and she wants him back. We all have our different interpretations. While she is known for using autotune, she is an incredible artist when she’s not trying to fit into what has become normal or trying to stand out. Her earlier work, such as “I’m the One” has a laid back feel to it, as well. For anyone judging her because of the more distasteful approach that she’s taking, why not look it up on youtube before you make your final choice.

I hope that some people will be able to look a bit more past the upbeat and mainstream style music that has been putting out and check out her older stuff.