The Doors by The Doors This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Even though the album “The Doors” by The Doors is 45 years old, it continues to influence today. At the time, no one had heard anything like it, and even now, “The Doors” still possesses unmatched musical qualities. This debut album is best known for the singles “Break On Through (to the Other Side)” and “Light My Fire,” which reached number two on the Billboard 200 in 1967.

The Doors' sound is a blend of blues, classical, and psychedelic rock, which was common in the ླྀs. But they put their own spin on it through Jim Morrison's chilling vocals and Ray Manzarek's masterful keyboard.

The vital element to The Doors' success is Jim Morrison's voice, which carried and tied the instruments together. Songs like “Break On Through (to the Other Side),” “Light My Fire,” and “Back Door Man,” feature Morrison's well-known screams and yells bursting with emotion through his poetic lyrics. His vocals are truly nothing like you hear in current music. Another unique element of his vocals is the clarity of the lyrics and his enunciation of every syllable, demonstrated in songs like “Back Door Man,” “Alabama Song,” and “Twentieth Century Fox.”

But Morrison's vocals aren't the only reason this album stands out. Ray Manzarek's keyboards really differentiated the group from other psychedelic bands of the era. He brought a whole new sound that had a huge impact on the long-run success of The Doors. In songs like “Twentieth Century Fox,” “Light My Fire,” and “The End,” the keyboard is clear even when accompanying other instruments.

The Doors' experimentation and fearlessness is what made this album remarkable. “The End” is an 11-minute slow song with long instrumental periods and spoken-word vocals, which emphasize the content of the lyrics. The Doors show through this song that minimalism is most effective in portraying their vision. Morrison's lyrics made this a successful but controversial album. “The End” is about a psychoanalytic theory called the Oedipus complex, but the violent content was taken the wrong way when he performed it live. His sensual lyrics were censored when The Doors played certain songs on television or in live venues.

All in all, “The Doors” by The Doors is an album that, ­despite its age, should continue to be popular. I highly recommend it, especially on vinyl.

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 6 at 2:35 am
Great review! The Doors are my favorite band! It's a shame that music these days will never compare what it was like back then. In a world filled with auto-tune and constant dance breaks, it's refreshing to listen to actual musicians and artists. There's no one that can compare to the Doors' unique sound!! 

Godinspiresher43This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 3 at 10:34 pm
I really like this cd. The Doors are truely great and a band that will stand the test of time I believe. Great job reviewing a good album.