Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded by Nicki Minaj This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Nicki Minaj, one of the most famous female rappers, is back with her new album “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded.” Over the past two years, Minaj's music has become a sensation because it is different from other hip-hop artists.

Nicki grew up in Queens, New York, and released her first mixtape, “Playtime is Over,” in 2007. Her first well-known album, “Pink Friday,” started her rapid rise with songs like “Moment 4 Life” and “Super Bass.” Her style has changed slightly and she now includes a greater variation of genres on this latest album.

“Roman Reloaded” contains every variety of emotion, from upbeat and defying to hateful. Her lyrics are vague and hard to understand, but catchy beats make them easy to remember and fun to repeat. This album is a great collaboration between hip-hop, R&B, and pop/dance music.

Nicki starts off with “Roman Holiday,” which is very quirky and brings out her wild personality. Then she transitions into some hardcore rap. She sounds angry and her lyrics are full of power, similar to Eminem.

After eight songs, the album almost becomes dreary and makes you want to turn it off. Instead of separating her songs into genres, Nicki could have mixed them up to make the album less monotonous.

The album takes a turn with the tenth song, “Starships,” which has a great upbeat vibe and quirky lyrics. Although she has some great collaborations with artists like Lil Wayne and Drake at the beginning of the album, she sounds just as good or even better when she is rapping solo with a party vibe in the background.

The next few songs contain fast-paced, party beats. Dance music is relatively new to Minaj's albums, considering Pink Friday had only rap songs.

Minaj ends the album with “Masquerade,” a slower R&B song. Although sweet, she could have ended the album with an upbeat party song to show that her album is strong.

Overall, “Roman Reloaded” is a great amalgamation of lots of different genres of music. It is easy to say that Minaj has a lot of success ahead of her.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

teamminajhoe said...
May 2, 2013 at 8:30 am:
LOL This is funny, you should get your facts straight... This album came out April 3rd 2012 not in 2013...