Jonas Brothers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)

ari -_- said...
Oh, jeez... the jonas brothers music is really bad. They are just another cutesy-cutesy band that geeky girls adore. Their music is suckish like all the other singers on Disney. I don't really watch Disney so if you like them, get mad at me if you want.

jonas brothers 100 replied...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 8:03 pm :
thats really really really really mean

sweetxcandyxashy said...
Ummm.... This doesn't really convince me to like their music. The Jonas Brothers can't sing live.

Sinfulullabies replied...
Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:44 pm :
Until you have actually seen them live, it's hard to form that opinion. And judging from your tone, you have not.

The Write Thing To Do said...
Have you ever listened to them? Can everyone not just be so stereotypical and give their music a chance? What's so bad? They have GROWN UP. No rocket ships to the year 3000 or anything, they have matured and we can clearly see that through their songs. What did they ever do to you. Give them a chance and if you don't have anything nice to say, it'd be more appreciated if you don't say it at all.

jonas brothers 100 replied...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 8:05 pm :
i agree 100%

windinthewires said...
Sept. 29, 2008 at 4:32 am:
No one can persuade me that the Jonas Brothers are any good. From what I can see, their main appeal is this: they are attractive, the are "clean," they play/write their own music, and everyone else likes them. I don't find any of the three very attractive, and their style is based on what their stylists put on them every time they go out. Next, a band's personal choices on religion/sex shouldn't matter--their musix should. The whole playing/writing their own stuff should be a given... (more »)

Sinfulullabies replied...
Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm :
Not everyone likes them for those sole reasons, don't put all fans into one group.
I like them simply for the fact that their music sounds good. And I liked them before they became "cute" or "popular". Fan since 06' baby (:

ivy said...
come on... purity rings? what a joke! Yeah, I'm sure that will last long! They are NOT a rock band. They are a pop band in the same league as Hannah Montana and she is a complete JOKE too! They are disney kids, not rock stars. Jonas brothers sing pop music for 5 year old girls. Everybody needs to get over these posing, no talent losers!

cobra_style said...
WOW these people need to get over them selves the jonas brothers can't sing can't write music, the only thing they can do is wear good clothes. Also they write music and they were originally writing for DISNEY CHANNEL not for teens and older. it's actually kind of embarrassing to be a teen girl cause they think all teen girls love them, but they don't. here is what i am coming from.. GET OVER IT.. YOU GUYS ARE ONLY LISTENING TO THEM BECAUSE YOU THINK THEY ARE CUTE.. THEY ARE OVERRATED! YOU THINK... (more »)

jonas brothers 100 replied...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 8:13 pm :
that was mean your doing the same thing compling

cobra_style said...
WOW these people need to get over themselves the jonas brothers can't sing can't write music, the only thing they can do is wear good clothes. Also they write music and they were originally writing for DISNEY CHANNEL not for teens and older. it's actually kind of embarrassing to be a teen girl cause they think all teen girls love them, but they don't. here is what i am coming from.. GET OVER IT.. YOU GUYS ARE ONLY LISTENING TO THEM BECAUSE YOU THINK THEY ARE CUTE.. THEY ARE OVERRATED! YOU THIN... (more »)

madison reece said...
OMG!!! i love the jonas brothers! i love nick and joe kevin is alright.

ashiiex said...
They arent the type of band I would normally listen to but eventually I downloaded some of their songs

ilovesuckers said...
This is really good. There's a lot of good wit in this piece, and I really like it.