Jonas Brothers | Teen Ink

Jonas Brothers MAG

July 14, 2008
By Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)


The author's comments:
Thanks to Summer for providing me with her own opinions about the Jonas Brothers! Without her, I wouldn't have this article.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 116 comments.


on Oct. 3 2008 at 11:39 pm
No offense, but that was sort of a bad review. You were only taking into account their sound. You didn't take into account their actual musical uniqueness. Which is none. You see, all they use on their guitar is powerchords which are the simplest of all guitar. Not to mention they barely differentiate them. Their lyrics are the same as any other pop group and their vocals are very poor. When reviewing music, take into account the actual musical talent put into a band's songs.

mae-mae said...
on Oct. 2 2008 at 6:46 pm
Just wanted to say that old bands are the Beatles, the Stones, the Eagles, Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, these are older bands, classics. The bands you name are a few years old, and its sad to think thats really what you think old means. And btw, the Jonas Brothers are just another money making scheme founded by Disney. Justin Timberlake, Brittany Spears, Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and now Miley Cyrus and the Jonas brothers. they are all the same, sad though it may be. Really good writing tho!

Manleader said...
on Oct. 1 2008 at 7:52 pm
I do agree that the Jonas Brothers are extremely talented; however, this is not based on their views. It is simply based on the fact that, unlike most artists from Disney Channel, the Jonas Brothers have a distinct sound. They are very unique, and that is why they are worth listenning to. Also, Switchfoot and Snow Patrol are not old bands! I am a teenager, and I listen to them! The Beatles are an old band! AC/DC is an old band! Switchfoot and Snow Patrol are not!

OJDthatsme said...
on Oct. 1 2008 at 5:59 pm
I have OJD... I think The Jonas Brothers are extremely talented. And yes, they ARE cute. We can relate to their songs, and that is what really makes their music stand out. Their song "A Little Bit Longer", written by Nick about his diabetes, has one line that is repeated but makes sense: "A little bit longer and I'll be fine". Who doesn't relate to that..?

on Sep. 29 2008 at 8:06 pm
If you guys don't like the Jonas Brothers, don't bother reading and commenting this article. Don't waste your own time. I think they're good guys, and I like their music.

If you don't, go do something else. It's not like I've trapped you here.

on Sep. 29 2008 at 4:32 am
No one can persuade me that the Jonas Brothers are any good. From what I can see, their main appeal is this: they are attractive, the are "clean," they play/write their own music, and everyone else likes them. I don't find any of the three very attractive, and their style is based on what their stylists put on them every time they go out. Next, a band's personal choices on religion/sex shouldn't matter--their musix should. The whole playing/writing their own stuff should be a given for any good band. And, finally, I know that people have always, and will always, like bands because they're popular. It's one of those sad truths like poverty/theft/etc.

Anyway, as a positive, the writing was fine. . .I just don't quite agree with the opinions.

on Sep. 29 2008 at 1:23 am
Honesty, I think that the Jonas brothers are extremely talented. Look how far they got. And for all you people who think they just doing it for Disney and that that is how they got famous, well you dead wrong. Columbia records actually picked them up first. But even before that when they were all in just elementry school they were on Broadway. Now how many of you can say that you were on Broadway let alone at the age of 7. So for all you people who think you know the Jonas Brothers and don't think that they deserve their fame, that their not talented, that they are a joke,that they can't write music, or sing think again. They each can play over 3 instruments and are dang good at it. If you don't like the Jonas Brothers than obiviously you have bad taste and are jealous that you don't amount up to anything that they can do. So get over yourselves and get a life if you think you can do a better job then the Jonas Brothers then how about doing something about it then. Plus if you were better then them I doubt you would be ragging on them you would be to busy touring. If you still believe that the Jonas Brothers "suck" you better get your Brain checked because it having some major lapses in judgement! Peace, Love, and Jonas

ari -_- said...
on Sep. 28 2008 at 11:52 pm
Oh, jeez... the jonas brothers music is really bad. They are just another cutesy-cutesy band that geeky girls adore. Their music is suckish like all the other singers on Disney. I don't really watch Disney so if you like them, get mad at me if you want.

on Sep. 28 2008 at 3:20 pm
Ummm.... This doesn't really convince me to like their music. The Jonas Brothers can't sing live.

on Sep. 26 2008 at 11:47 pm
Have you ever listened to them? Can everyone not just be so stereotypical and give their music a chance? What's so bad? They have GROWN UP. No rocket ships to the year 3000 or anything, they have matured and we can clearly see that through their songs. What did they ever do to you. Give them a chance and if you don't have anything nice to say, it'd be more appreciated if you don't say it at all.

ivy said...
on Sep. 25 2008 at 10:24 pm
come on... purity rings? what a joke! Yeah, I'm sure that will last long! They are NOT a rock band. They are a pop band in the same league as Hannah Montana and she is a complete JOKE too! They are disney kids, not rock stars. Jonas brothers sing pop music for 5 year old girls. Everybody needs to get over these posing, no talent losers!

cobra_style said...
on Sep. 21 2008 at 5:34 pm
WOW these people need to get over them selves the jonas brothers can't sing can't write music, the only thing they can do is wear good clothes. Also they write music and they were originally writing for DISNEY CHANNEL not for teens and older. it's actually kind of embarrassing to be a teen girl cause they think all teen girls love them, but they don't. here is what i am coming from.. GET OVER IT.. YOU GUYS ARE ONLY LISTENING TO THEM BECAUSE YOU THINK THEY ARE CUTE.. THEY ARE OVERRATED! YOU THINK THEIR VOICES ARE GOOD??? THEY SOND LIKE THEY ARE WHINING THE WHOLE TIME ESPECIALLY nick.

cobra_style said...
on Sep. 21 2008 at 5:26 pm
WOW these people need to get over themselves the jonas brothers can't sing can't write music, the only thing they can do is wear good clothes. Also they write music and they were originally writing for DISNEY CHANNEL not for teens and older. it's actually kind of embarrassing to be a teen girl cause they think all teen girls love them, but they don't. here is what i am coming from.. GET OVER IT.. YOU GUYS ARE ONLY LISTENING TO THEM BECAUSE YOU THINK THEY ARE CUTE.. THEY ARE OVERRATED! YOU THINK THEIR VOICES ARE GOOD??? THEY SOUND LIKE THEY ARE WHINING THE WHOLE TIME ESPECIALLY nick.

on Sep. 10 2008 at 5:37 pm
OMG!!! i love the jonas brothers! i love nick and joe kevin is alright.

ashiiex said...
on Sep. 9 2008 at 11:39 pm
They arent the type of band I would normally listen to but eventually I downloaded some of their songs

ilovesuckers said...
on Sep. 6 2008 at 7:59 pm
This is really good. There's a lot of good wit in this piece, and I really like it.