Jonas Brothers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)

Valkyrie_123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i dont really think the jonas brothers are that good cause they hardly evening have a career but some of their lyrics are good in my opinion

Ashley W. said...
They are the coolest band in the 21st century.Nick is my number 1 favorite.I'm going to meet them in May 2,in Orlando.Watch Disney Channel in May.They are coming out with their brand new TV series,JONAS.

Jonas Bros' Lyric Master said...
Jan. 31, 2009 at 12:23 am
I liked article. I have to say, the Jonas Brothers don't have amazing voices but are good at dancing and entertaining their audiences. Their music and lyrics could be better. I am currently writing a song for them which they are using in their next cd. It is called "heart break".

CBHfan411 said...
The Jonas Brothers are pretty good but if you want to hear someone really good you should check out the Comic Book Heroes. They are in Disney's Next Big Thing contest and it would be awesome if you guys could check them out. The link is http://radio.disney.go.com/artists/nbt/rankings.html . Be sure to rate their songs with 5 stars!!

TwilightEternity said...
I love the Jonas Brothers, they are brilliant in what they do and just because they wear purity rings, do not mean they believe they are better then anyone. They never bragged about them and I never knew they had them, except for the moments where I actually looked down at their fingers or heard them explained it to a fan about what the meaning was. Have you ever seen the Jonas Brothers brag about them? No, its a religious item and they take that to heart. The JB aren't like the rest of the teen... (more »)

maemae said...
Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:26 am
just wanted to say: the Jonas Brothers are talentless kids, who wear chastity rings proudly like that somehow makes them better than us, singe horrible music, and the only reason there famous is they sold their souls to Disney. Be original, and don't listen to music that sucks.

jonas brothers 100 replied...
thats really mean

jbird265 said...
Dec. 3, 2008 at 2:55 am
Good, objective review. I can totally relate that against my better nature, I found myself being drawn into these guys. I still wish they'd be a little edgier, just to amp up the interest factor though.

sizzle said...
i kinda liked the review i dont really like the jonas brothers but i have a 8 year old sister. so wheather i want to or not i hear it alPr

kevinjonas said...
I LOVE THE JONAS BROTHERS!!!!!!!!!!! i am not a geeky girl like one of the comments said. if you meen geeky as in, wears makup and goes to the mall every month, and has really nice cloths, and dosnt like to get dirty, then you are wrong!!! im not even allowd to wear makup! i havnt even been to a mall beafor! and i LOVE to get dirty! i go to this out door thing every saterday, you learn how to servive in the wild. like how to make a fire, and what you can eat, and how to build a shelter. and you ... (more »)

jonasbrothers#1fan said...
great job!!!! and there are lots of hate comments on hear.... NO MORE HATE COMMENTS!!!! love jonas bbrothers!

youcantsingwell:) said...
i agree with cobra_style...but i dont even think they wear good cloths....and the singer needs to wax his eyebrow.... :( i soooo tired of looking at it..

Author of this Article said...
Two points: 1) Thanks for the criticism. I'll keep it in mind next time I try to write. 2) For those of you who just came here to hate on the Jonas Brothers, you're wasting your own time, and you should go. Don't write hateful comments on here. So not cool. I know you have your opinions; if you don't like them, DON'T READ THIS. It's very simple.

sam77 said...
good job!!!

Italianwolf77 said...
No offense, but that was sort of a bad review. You were only taking into account their sound. You didn't take into account their actual musical uniqueness. Which is none. You see, all they use on their guitar is powerchords which are the simplest of all guitar. Not to mention they barely differentiate them. Their lyrics are the same as any other pop group and their vocals are very poor. When reviewing music, take into account the actual musical talent put into a band's songs.

mae-mae said...
Just wanted to say that old bands are the Beatles, the Stones, the Eagles, Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, these are older bands, classics. The bands you name are a few years old, and its sad to think thats really what you think old means. And btw, the Jonas Brothers are just another money making scheme founded by Disney. Justin Timberlake, Brittany Spears, Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and now Miley Cyrus and the Jonas brothers. they are all the same, sad though it may be. Really good writing tho!

Manleader said...
I do agree that the Jonas Brothers are extremely talented; however, this is not based on their views. It is simply based on the fact that, unlike most artists from Disney Channel, the Jonas Brothers have a distinct sound. They are very unique, and that is why they are worth listenning to. Also, Switchfoot and Snow Patrol are not old bands! I am a teenager, and I listen to them! The Beatles are an old band! AC/DC is an old band! Switchfoot and Snow Patrol are not!

OJDthatsme said...
I have OJD... I think The Jonas Brothers are extremely talented. And yes, they ARE cute. We can relate to their songs, and that is what really makes their music stand out. Their song "A Little Bit Longer", written by Nick about his diabetes, has one line that is repeated but makes sense: "A little bit longer and I'll be fine". Who doesn't relate to that..?

author of this article said...
If you guys don't like the Jonas Brothers, don't bother reading and commenting this article. Don't waste your own time. I think they're good guys, and I like their music.
If you don't, go do something else. It's not like I've trapped you here.

Mywordscomealive said...
Sept. 29, 2008 at 1:23 am
Honesty, I think that the Jonas brothers are extremely talented. Look how far they got. And for all you people who think they just doing it for Disney and that that is how they got famous, well you dead wrong. Columbia records actually picked them up first. But even before that when they were all in just elementry school they were on Broadway. Now how many of you can say that you were on Broadway let alone at the age of 7. So for all you people who think you know the Jonas Brothers and don't thi... (more »)