Jonas Brothers | Teen Ink

Jonas Brothers MAG

July 14, 2008
By Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)


The author's comments:
Thanks to Summer for providing me with her own opinions about the Jonas Brothers! Without her, I wouldn't have this article.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 116 comments.


on Dec. 19 2009 at 8:03 pm
thats really really really really mean

on Dec. 19 2009 at 7:59 pm
thats really mean

on Dec. 19 2009 at 7:57 pm
that was mean i love them

on Dec. 19 2009 at 7:56 pm
i just loooooove the jonas brothers

naturelover said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 2:09 pm
naturelover, Kingsport, Tennessee
0 articles 7 photos 68 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let my people go."




--Moses
"If the Good Lord had've wanted us to be the same, then He would've put braces on all our legs"








--Sally Field as Forrest's mom on the movie "Forrest Gump"

"singe"?

on Nov. 3 2009 at 11:34 am
BeckoningLovely GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
15 articles 1 photo 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I think our favorite quotes say more about us than the people we are quoting," John Green

I agree 100,000,000%

I love the Jonas Brothers; Joe is my favorite!

Check out my fanfic where I meet them!

on Jul. 17 2009 at 8:03 am
SpencerR SILVER, Bonney Lake, Washington
9 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I disagree by 100%. I think the Jonas Brothers are terrible. They get by on their looks instead of having actual talent, which is what MTV needs these days: Actual talent. Just because every girl in America thinks they're such "hotties" doesn't mean that they deserve any of the publicity that they've gotten. The lead singer is nothing to brag about. He can sing in tune and all but there's absolutely nothing unique about his voice and he has no vocal range. If you don't believe just look up their cover of A-ha's "Take on Me". It's horrible and he can't hit the high note in the song which was what made that song famous. Neither of the guitarists are all that special either. They write easy songs that anyone can play that take no skill. The eldest one is smart though because he chose not to sing which is where the other lacks because he decided he wanted to sing too, but as it turns out he's no better than his brother. I think you should looker deeper into music because if you're trading up bands like The Beatles and Switchfoot for the Jonas Brothers then I think you need to look back at what really matters in a song.

on Jul. 10 2009 at 9:44 pm
GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
7 articles 3 photos 134 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

i dont really think the jonas brothers are that good cause they hardly evening have a career but some of their lyrics are good in my opinion

JBFan said...
on Apr. 2 2009 at 11:31 pm
JBFan, Wildwood, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
They are the coolest band in the 21st century.Nick is my number 1 favorite.I'm going to meet them in May 2,in Orlando.Watch Disney Channel in May.They are coming out with their brand new TV series,JONAS.

on Jan. 31 2009 at 12:23 am
I liked article. I have to say, the Jonas Brothers don't have amazing voices but are good at dancing and entertaining their audiences. Their music and lyrics could be better. I am currently writing a song for them which they are using in their next cd. It is called "heart break".

CBHfan411 said...
on Jan. 30 2009 at 6:59 pm
The Jonas Brothers are pretty good but if you want to hear someone really good you should check out the Comic Book Heroes. They are in Disney's Next Big Thing contest and it would be awesome if you guys could check them out. The link is http://radio.disney.go.com/artists/nbt/rankings.html . Be sure to rate their songs with 5 stars!!

on Jan. 16 2009 at 7:55 pm
I love the Jonas Brothers, they are brilliant in what they do and just because they wear purity rings, do not mean they believe they are better then anyone. They never bragged about them and I never knew they had them, except for the moments where I actually looked down at their fingers or heard them explained it to a fan about what the meaning was. Have you ever seen the Jonas Brothers brag about them? No, its a religious item and they take that to heart. The JB aren't like the rest of the teen stars, like Lindsey Lohan or Miley Cyrus, who are constantly in the media for racy stuff. No, when you see the JB, you see them for who they really are. Talented teenagers who know how to handle their personal lives seperately from their business lives. Every teen star should take advice from them. The Jonas Brothers are future icons, get use to it. They are Michael Jackson with the insanity, Britney Spears without the controversial aspects, George W. Bush without the failure. Get use to it.

maemae said...
on Dec. 15 2008 at 7:26 am
just wanted to say: the Jonas Brothers are talentless kids, who wear chastity rings proudly like that somehow makes them better than us, singe horrible music, and the only reason there famous is they sold their souls to Disney. Be original, and don't listen to music that sucks.

jbird265 said...
on Dec. 3 2008 at 2:55 am
Good, objective review. I can totally relate that against my better nature, I found myself being drawn into these guys. I still wish they'd be a little edgier, just to amp up the interest factor though.

sizzle said...
on Nov. 20 2008 at 9:13 pm
i kinda liked the review i dont really like the jonas brothers but i have a 8 year old sister. so wheather i want to or not i hear it alPr

kevinjonas said...
on Oct. 27 2008 at 12:33 pm
I LOVE THE JONAS BROTHERS!!!!!!!!!!! i am not a geeky girl like one of the comments said. if you meen geeky as in, wears makup and goes to the mall every month, and has really nice cloths, and dosnt like to get dirty, then you are wrong!!! im not even allowd to wear makup! i havnt even been to a mall beafor! and i LOVE to get dirty! i go to this out door thing every saterday, you learn how to servive in the wild. like how to make a fire, and what you can eat, and how to build a shelter. and you get diry! and i dont go beacaus i act crazy at school. im one of the most focast. if you whant to call someone geeky, call my freind anna geeky! no affence to her, she dosnt even know who the jonas brothers are! she ollney listens to the beattles and thats it!!!!!! so you wernt insulting the jonas brothers, you wer insulting other peapol! you are wasting your time. are you so bored that you have to go arround insulting peapol?! peace, love, kevin jonas!

on Oct. 26 2008 at 10:18 pm
great job!!!! and there are lots of hate comments on hear.... NO MORE HATE COMMENTS!!!! love jonas bbrothers!

on Oct. 24 2008 at 2:55 pm
i agree with cobra_style...but i dont even think they wear good cloths....and the singer needs to wax his eyebrow.... :( i soooo tired of looking at it..

on Oct. 15 2008 at 8:46 pm
Two points: 1) Thanks for the criticism. I'll keep it in mind next time I try to write. 2) For those of you who just came here to hate on the Jonas Brothers, you're wasting your own time, and you should go. Don't write hateful comments on here. So not cool. I know you have your opinions; if you don't like them, DON'T READ THIS. It's very simple.

sam77 said...
on Oct. 13 2008 at 4:09 pm
good job!!!