Jonas Brothers | Teen Ink

Jonas Brothers MAG

By Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)

Thanks to Summer for providing me with her own opinions about the Jonas Brothers! Without her, I wouldn't have this article.

on Mar. 9 2010 at 9:32 pm
BasketballChick5, San Diego, California

:)Just Do It:) <3

I don't like the Jonas Brothers!!!!I love Nick he is so cute!!!! The other two are not and ones married some on go off by yourself to old to be on Disney!

CourtneyH GOLD said...
on Feb. 22 2010 at 3:56 pm
CourtneyH GOLD, Floral Park, New York

Imagination is better than Knowledge - Albert Einstein
One day you're in the next you're out
Live like you're at the bottom even if you're at the top

I love the Jonas Brothers! I've been with them since they started and I'm proud to say I'm 17 and still a fan. For five years I've watched them grow and it amazes me how people still diss them when they haven't even listened to their music. They're not just Disney clones. They work hard and actually write their own music that several people can relate to.

Thank you for this article and for supporting the boys = )

on Feb. 7 2010 at 8:21 pm
CatherineK SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska

“In all things it is better to hope than to despair”

I agree with kmpoetgirl7.... there are a lot of people that form opinions with out actually ever listening to their music first. Good job on doing your research!

on Feb. 6 2010 at 9:18 pm
slightlymad BRONZE, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

“I can't dislike you, but I will say this to you: you haven't got long before you are all going to kill yourselves, because you are all crazy. And you can project it back at me ... but I am only what lives inside each and every one of you.”

I cannot believe the Jonas Bros. got anywhere. They're just Disney's cash-cows. Their music sucks.

on Jan. 30 2010 at 2:55 pm
kmpoetgirl7 PLATINUM, Phillips, Wisconsin

"You must be in control of the authorship of your own destiny. The pen that writes your life story must be held in your own hand." Irene C. Kassorla

Wow! As one of the boys' biggest fans, I feel the need to tell you what an amazing job you did on this article. You made them shine, and you told what they are really about. They give back to fans, they maintain a strong faith in God while under the glares of society, and manage to "just be brothers" while being major role models for kids everywhere. Everyone has something to learn from Kevin, Nick and Joe, in my opinion. Thanks for such a great article! And as for the haters here, get out. If you don't like them, don't read articles about them. Loyal fans will love them no matter what you say. Get a life and stay out of theirs.

on Jan. 20 2010 at 4:41 pm
E.A.Costa BRONZE, Cary, North Carolina

It doesn't matter what color my skin is, how long my hair is, or whether I'm a woman or a man-John Lennon

by the way their lyrics are repetitive and have no deep meaning such as those written by Bob Dylan or the Beatles.

on Jan. 20 2010 at 4:40 pm
E.A.Costa BRONZE, Cary, North Carolina

I'm sorry but this is completely outrageous.

They have no musical talent whatsoever, and I'm willing to bet half of their songs are written by a lyricist. Plus they use auto tune and other computer software to make their voices sound better. By the recording you can easily tell that their whiny voices are clearly tampered with.

Kevin defiantly is not a guitar genius. Listen to Hendrix, Jimmy Page, or Eric Clapton. (almost forgot santana and john mayer) the things they can do with guitar is incredible. They can play things no one in the world could imitate.

All in all there is nothing standout about this band at all.

casepag4 said...
on Jan. 20 2010 at 8:59 am
I think right I hate the Jonas Brothers I like older bands like Shinedown and Led Zepplen and Bosten.

on Jan. 19 2010 at 12:45 pm
Sinfulullabies SILVER, Canton, Massachusetts

"You can't expect anyone to love you, until you love yourself."

Not everyone likes them for those sole reasons, don't put all fans into one group.

I like them simply for the fact that their music sounds good. And I liked them before they became "cute" or "popular". Fan since 06' baby (:

on Jan. 19 2010 at 12:44 pm

Until you have actually seen them live, it's hard to form that opinion. And judging from your tone, you have not.

on Jan. 19 2010 at 12:39 pm

Well I disagree. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are horrible first of all. They do have talent. Some shallow girls might like them purely for their looks, not everyone is into them for that reason. I genuinely enjoy their music. And yes, I am older than 12. I know many people think a good song consists of a complicated melody and lyrics that are so intricate you need a dictionary for every other word, but I feel for those who think that way 'cause they've lost the true meaning of music. Not to say songs like that aren't good, but music is just about making you feel something. To take you to a place the artist was, to make you experience what they did. And if somebody gets that through one of their songs, I'd consider them talented.

I've seen them live many times, as well and they can carry a tune. Which, in today's buisness, is an accomplishment in itself. And, I recently saw Nick Jonas' new solo tour and I was blown away. It is nothing like the Jonas Brothers, and Nick's range is remarkable. Look it up before you trash.

I know I can get a little heated about this (sorry in advance), but a band doesn't need to be the best at everything to be good.

AveryG13 GOLD said...
on Jan. 17 2010 at 9:06 am
AveryG13 GOLD, Dexter, Michigan

"The best thing to do with the best things in life, is to give them up to those who have nothing."
- Ambrose Bierce

I love the Jonas Brothers! There music has a story behind each song, and I can relate to their music. They inspire me and I think they are great role models. They manage to stay out of all the Hollywood scandals and lies.

on Jan. 10 2010 at 10:59 am
XxCrazyGurlXx SILVER, Whiteville, North Carolina

"Besides my fashion sense? I play a mean harmonica." -Fang (Maximum Ride)
"I never wanted a part like this in my life." -Demi Lovato on Camp Rock
"Pink isn't just a race or color, its an attitude." -Myself

Jonas Bros ROCK! I've been along with them since Nick started on Broadway, seriously. I watched him in...Christmas Carol...yeah. KEVIN DOES ROCK TOO! Joe NOT SO MUCH!

on Dec. 27 2009 at 12:44 pm
justbreathe.... BRONZE, N/a, South Carolina

No matter how bad things get, there is always something that you don\'t know about just yet.

It didn't offend me. Everyone has to have an opionion. I'd rather you be honest.

on Dec. 26 2009 at 6:15 pm
okay. I didn't mean t offend you as a fan. I'm glad you agreed w/ Spencer and therefore me.

on Dec. 26 2009 at 2:45 pm

I am a Jonas Brothers fan myself, but I also have to agree with Spencer as well. Although I know their better works well, I've seen some that isn't as purely talented as some other older bands. I am drawn to the Jo Bros because of their energetic music, but mostly because of their personalities and passions. I would never rank them as high as Switchfoot and the Beatles.

on Dec. 26 2009 at 2:35 pm

Definitely agree. As a hardcore christian myself, I love how they are standing up for what they believe in and supporting all of the right things.

on Dec. 23 2009 at 2:50 pm
wanghui138138 BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island

"Don't fear anything other than giving up."

Sorry fans but i totally agree with Spencer.

on Dec. 19 2009 at 8:13 pm
that was mean your doing the same thing compling

on Dec. 19 2009 at 8:05 pm
i agree 100%