Jonas Brothers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)

slightlymad said...
Feb. 6, 2010 at 9:18 pm:
I cannot believe the Jonas Bros. got anywhere. They're just Disney's cash-cows. Their music sucks.

kmpoetgirl7 said...
Wow! As one of the boys' biggest fans, I feel the need to tell you what an amazing job you did on this article. You made them shine, and you told what they are really about. They give back to fans, they maintain a strong faith in God while under the glares of society, and manage to "just be brothers" while being major role models for kids everywhere. Everyone has something to learn from Kevin, Nick and Joe, in my opinion. Thanks for such a great article! And as for the haters here... (more »)

Edmond_Antonio_Costa said...
I'm sorry but this is completely outrageous.
They have no musical talent whatsoever, and I'm willing to bet half of their songs are written by a lyricist. Plus they use auto tune and other computer software to make their voices sound better. By the recording you can easily tell that their whiny voices are clearly tampered with.
Kevin defiantly is not a guitar genius. Listen to Hendrix, Jimmy Page, or Eric Clapton. (almost forgot santana and john mayer) the things they can ... (more »)

Edmond_Antonio_Costa replied...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 4:41 pm :
by the way their lyrics are repetitive and have no deep meaning such as those written by Bob Dylan or the Beatles.

casepag4 said...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 8:59 am:
I think right I hate the Jonas Brothers I like older bands like Shinedown and Led Zepplen and Bosten.

Averycullen said...
Jan. 17, 2010 at 9:06 am:
I love the Jonas Brothers! There music has a story behind each song, and I can relate to their music. They inspire me and I think they are great role models. They manage to stay out of all the Hollywood scandals and lies.

StormyJ said...
Jan. 10, 2010 at 10:59 am:
Jonas Bros ROCK! I've been along with them since Nick started on Broadway, seriously. I watched him in...Christmas Carol...yeah. KEVIN DOES ROCK TOO! Joe NOT SO MUCH!

naturelover said...
"singe"?

writergirl914 replied...
Dec. 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm :
Definitely agree. As a hardcore christian myself, I love how they are standing up for what they believe in and supporting all of the right things.

NickGirl replied...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm :

I LOVE THE JONAS BROTHERS THAY ROCK!!!!

ESPECIALLY KEVIN!!!

JonasLover89 said...
Nov. 3, 2009 at 11:34 am:
I agree 100,000,000%
I love the Jonas Brothers; Joe is my favorite!
Check out my fanfic where I meet them!

jonas brothers 100 replied...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 7:56 pm :
i just loooooove the jonas brothers

Spencer F. said...
Jul. 17, 2009 at 8:03 am:
I disagree by 100%. I think the Jonas Brothers are terrible. They get by on their looks instead of having actual talent, which is what MTV needs these days: Actual talent. Just because every girl in America thinks they're such "hotties" doesn't mean that they deserve any of the publicity that they've gotten. The lead singer is nothing to brag about. He can sing in tune and all but there's absolutely nothing unique about his voice and he has no vocal range. If you don't believe ju... (more »)

jonas brothers 100 replied...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 7:57 pm :
that was mean i love them

wanghui138138 replied...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm :
Sorry fans but i totally agree with Spencer.

writergirl914 replied...
Dec. 26, 2009 at 2:45 pm :
I am a Jonas Brothers fan myself, but I also have to agree with Spencer as well. Although I know their better works well, I've seen some that isn't as purely talented as some other older bands. I am drawn to the Jo Bros because of their energetic music, but mostly because of their personalities and passions. I would never rank them as high as Switchfoot and the Beatles.

wanghui138138 replied...
Dec. 26, 2009 at 6:15 pm :
okay. I didn't mean t offend you as a fan. I'm glad you agreed w/ Spencer and therefore me.

writergirl914 replied...
Dec. 27, 2009 at 12:44 pm :
It didn't offend me. Everyone has to have an opionion. I'd rather you be honest.

Sinfulullabies replied...
Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm :
Well I disagree. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are horrible first of all. They do have talent. Some shallow girls might like them purely for their looks, not everyone is into them for that reason. I genuinely enjoy their music. And yes, I am older than 12. I know many people think a good song consists of a complicated melody and lyrics that are so intricate you need a dictionary for every other word, but I feel for those who think that way 'cause they've... (more »)

Valkyrie_123 said...
Jul. 10, 2009 at 9:44 pm:
i dont really think the jonas brothers are that good cause they hardly evening have a career but some of their lyrics are good in my opinion