Jonas Brothers | Teen Ink

Jonas Brothers MAG

July 14, 2008
By Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)


The author's comments:
Thanks to Summer for providing me with her own opinions about the Jonas Brothers! Without her, I wouldn't have this article.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 116 comments.


on Jun. 28 2010 at 2:56 pm
Liz891 PLATINUM, Endwell, New York
25 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't know what to write here. :D
P.S. I'm really hyper!!!!!!!!!!

I think that there are a few Jonas Brother songs that I can actually call good. There are still some songs that I can't listen to or my ears will bleed.

mrs2013 said...
on Jun. 27 2010 at 9:01 pm
mrs2013, Wichita Falls, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Any quote by Thomas Jefferson!

I agree with EmoToboe. Disney and Nickelodeon are taking actors and actresses and turning them into "singers". Ex: Selena Gomez. Or they take singers and turn them into "actors" Ex: Demi Lovato. I won't listen to any singer that is still involved with Disney/Nick because they have made their music into a contest. And that is not real music. Sorry, just my opinion.

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
on Jun. 27 2010 at 4:35 pm
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York
79 articles 0 photos 139 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

i know, i was terrified when my friend told me they might be breaking up! I love Joe!

ELM522 DIAMOND said...
on Jun. 27 2010 at 4:34 pm
ELM522 DIAMOND, Selden, New York
79 articles 0 photos 139 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All those other girls, well they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?"-"Hey Stephen" by Taylor Swift

loyal fans love groups even when others don't.

skittles said...
on Jun. 25 2010 at 4:20 pm
in my opinion i reaaly hate them and think they are so 2 years ago. Who agrees with me????????????????

on Jun. 18 2010 at 11:04 pm
well, in my opinion, the jonas brothers are like a popularity contest. I have to say though their tunes are catchy. But are they really different than other teenage-tight-pants-wearing-crooked-smiling-boy-bands?

on Jun. 12 2010 at 10:42 am
writingwiz94 SILVER, Rochester Hills, Michigan
9 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I love the Jonas Brothers! They're going on tour this summer, so they really aren't breaking up! =)

on May. 31 2010 at 6:20 pm
HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1979 comments

Favorite Quote:
Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

hee (im just reading over ppl's old comments) nd i agree with u too ^^ nd ive been a fan since i was in 7th gr-8th, n im almost 17 now :] im also very proud of em!! :]]

go JB fans!! haha


biebergirl1 said...
on May. 9 2010 at 5:57 pm
biebergirl1, White Plains, New York
0 articles 0 photos 22 comments
i think the jonas brothers are awesome but their kina on theire own now because nick jonas has his own band and kevin jonas just got married so watever in my opinion the jonas brothers are still cool to me and yes its like a poularity contetst with disney channel and nickelodeon

on May. 9 2010 at 1:14 pm
EmoToboe BRONZE, Kemp, Texas
1 article 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you've lost it all.......That's when you finally realize.....That life is BEAUTIFUL

If you ask me, the Jonas Brothers are more proof that disney and nickelodeon are turning music into a popularity contest, sorry but that's my opinion.

I like deep music, the stuff that toys with your emotion, that pumps you up or brings you down to earth.


on Apr. 15 2010 at 1:03 am
mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
8 articles 0 photos 65 comments
I am a huge Jonas Brother fan. I dont only listen to pop. I love Guns N Roses and The Smashing Pumpkins and MCR. But these three boys sure know how to make a pop song.

on Apr. 3 2010 at 2:07 pm
HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1979 comments

Favorite Quote:
Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

hehe ok i kno by now, the jb are getting kinda 'old news' but i still love em!!!! theyre really good ppl n good musicians..in my opinion..their songs can speak to me...nj&a is awesome too....anyway, the jbs are my idols...good article!!

on Apr. 3 2010 at 8:05 am
S-Chique00 GOLD, Dundalk, Other
10 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Rocky Balboa: You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done.

I'm sorry but apart from crroning shallow rock songs out of tune and making extremly poor-quality covers of great songs, the Jonas Bros. don't really have that much to offer to the world of music. Kevin ISN'T a guitar genius, Nick CAN'T sing like an angel, and Joe just stands on stage posing, as far as I can see. I hate it when people compare them to The Beatles, (one of my favourite bands). There is a fundemental difference between the two; The Beatles were handsome, funny, creative and more, but more importantly, ALL FOUR of them sould sing, write songs and play an instrument (and play it well). I really don't see what all the fuss is about. The Jonas Bros. are good, not great, and certainly not brilliant. My guess is that in 5 years time, everyone will forget about the them, and they will have confirmed their status as a teen poop (no, I didn't spell it incorrectly!) sensation.

on Mar. 27 2010 at 9:43 pm
writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
11 articles 8 photos 261 comments

Favorite Quote:
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

OMG!!! i love the Veronicas!!!!!!!!!!!! if you like them, you should listen to the band Tokyo Hotel, they're German but they have a lot of songs in English.

on Mar. 21 2010 at 9:09 pm
-alice- PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
21 articles 0 photos 81 comments

Favorite Quote:
I care very little if I am judged by you or any other human court; indeed I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. -1 Corinthians 4:3-4

I used to love the Jonas Brothers. I mean, I went to their concert and bought all of the magazines with them on them, everything. The thing is, when they came out with a third CD, it got a little annoying because by then, Nick was the only one who had a real voice and all of their songs sounded the same. By the way, I love Switchfoot. Just FYI

on Mar. 19 2010 at 10:59 am
musiclover123, ., Other
0 articles 0 photos 63 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. <3

agree with you totally

on Mar. 19 2010 at 10:58 am
musiclover123, ., Other
0 articles 0 photos 63 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. <3

nice article

BrAx26 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 16 2010 at 9:26 am
BrAx26 BRONZE, West Plains, Missouri
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of fight in the dog

i think the jonas brothers arent good

on Mar. 16 2010 at 8:22 am
xobrittyy PLATINUM, New City, New York
23 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Find a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot, who calls you back when you hang up on him, who will lie under the stars and listen to your heartbeat, or will stay awake just to watch you sleep... wait for the boy who kisses your forehead, who wants to show you off to the world when you are in sweats, who holds your hand in front of his friends, who thinks you're just as pretty without makeup on. One who is constantly reminding you of how much he cares and how lucky his is to have you.... The one who turns to his friends and says, 'that's her.'”

i love the jonas brothers they are my favorite band :) they are all over my room lol good job !!

on Mar. 14 2010 at 3:00 am
dreamer759 SILVER, San Ramon, California
5 articles 0 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I know, right?"
(you know you say it)

Honestly, the Jonas Brothers are ok, but they aren't all that cute. I don't like them but I have nothing against them and, I have to admit, they're songs are catchy, I don't want them on my iPod.