Jonas Brothers | Teen Ink

Jonas Brothers MAG

By Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
Bethany Ao BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina

My taste in music is very selective. I prefer older bands, like Switchfoot, Snow Patrol – bands teenagers usually say, “Huh? Who are they?” But even with the Veronicas, the Beatles, and Bob Marley on my iPod, I had to check out the new pop sensation, the Jonas Brothers, when my best friend developed a severe case of OJD (that's Obsessive Jonas Disorder).

She told me they were the perfect boys: wore purity rings, didn't use profanity, and went to church. It seemed the Jonas Brothers were causing an uproar wherever they went. This was definitely worth looking into.

First impressions are everything. When I googled the Jonas Brothers, I found countless pictures of three dark-haired youths, forums started by loyal fans, and songs to listen to. Let's just say, I didn't hear what I expected. I always thought teen pop groups sang shallow rock songs that made girls scream, but these three brothers create an interesting blend of reggae, punk, smooth rock, and even some soulful acoustic music, definitely not what you would expect.

In addition to their unique music, the Jonas Brothers definitely possess the cute factor. Nick, the youngest, has brown curly hair that makes the decibel level in a room go up five notches when he walks in. Joe, the 19-year-old, is the “cute, funny one,” according to close friend Miley Cyrus. Kevin, the oldest at 20, is the guitar genius. Man, that boy can seriously rock out onstage with his ­Gibson.

So, what really draws throngs of teenage fans to these brothers? Their music makes sense. You can relate to the songs and feel what they felt when they wrote them. Also, they truly appreciate fans' dedication, and give back with free concerts and meet-and-greets.

Finally, they have amazing style: what guys you know would wear tight purple jeans?

So check out this new band taking the spotlight. (Their ­album “A Little Bit Longer” was released in August.)

Thanks to Summer for providing me with her own opinions about the Jonas Brothers! Without her, I wouldn't have this article.

Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

Wow! The review is great! The Jonas Brothers is a great band. Right now it's an old band, but I still like their music and enjoy listening to them.

AlliNeedisMusic SILVER, Easley, South Carolina

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

i...like...metal

Poison-ivy SILVER, Park City, Utah

Music can change the world, because it can change people.

I love Snowpatrol too! <3 and I also respect your opinion, so Im just gonna spare some drama-queening and keep my mouth shut.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I'm not going to bother on my opinions and whatnot, but your article is very well-written! Great job!

phaseball said...
phaseball, Cortland, New York

While I certainly respect your opinion, I would have to disagree.

I commend the boys for trying to write their own music, people care less about who wrote or produced it than the pretty face performing it. From what I've heard, none of the brothers are terribly talented. Their songs are repetitive and trite, with simple power chords and inane lyrics. They are everything your average teenybopper wants.

During live shows, they have a four piece backing band with a guitarist (John Taylor) that plays all of Kevin's solos and other parts. The vocals are mediocre at best, bordering on whiney. And lyrically, it's the same regurgitated material that pours out of radio speakers,except neutered. It's taken down one step for the young girls eager for a first crush.

I don't hate the Jonas Brothers. Please don't label me as a hater. I have nothing against those boys. What I do disagree with though, is how they are marketed by Disney. They sell sex to little girls, under the cover of a chaste Christian image. Meanwhile, Disney is making a mint off their 21 Century boyband.

Again, I don't mean to be offensive to the author or anybody else, so feel free to disagree with me or reply.

beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Yeah love the Jonas Brothers! Personally, I agree with you---my sister says that I listen to weird music, but I like to think of myself as an eclectic. I love it all! At first I thought that the Jonas Brothers were just a rehashing of boy bands from the 90s like Nsync and the Backstreet Boys or the cookie cutter, shallow music that girls go googly-eyed for. But I actually like their music. Good review! It's good for people to try new things, not just judging before they actually experience it.

wanda said...
y r ya talking about jonas brothers there old news,i also think they broke up

RashidaWrites GOLD, Somewhere, Iowa

"Nothing Gold Can Stay" (Robert Frost), "For when dreams go. Life is a barren field. Frozen with snow" (Langston Hughes).

I'm glad to see this review because I was diagnosed with OJD in 2007, and have been living with it since. I find it really easy to tun up the REAL JB (not Justin Bieber) and feel extremely alive. JB FOREVER AND EVER...

Snowed GOLD said...
on Nov. 7 2011 at 5:45 am
Snowed GOLD, Dublin, Other

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats

How on Earth are Snow Patrol old? 

AgentMandark said...
on Sep. 25 2011 at 10:34 am
AgentMandark, Wantagh, New York

"People are always blaming circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get ahead in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them."

I don't even like the Jonas Brothers, and I still thought this review was great :). You know, maybe they really weren't that bad when they were popular...

I think the fanbase kind of ruined it though :P. Obnoxious, screaming pre-teen obsessive fangirls tend to repel older ones.

daRklovelyblue17 GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona

"Where words fail, music speaks."

"I'm trying to believe in things that I don't know[...]That love can kill the pain, that truth is never vain, it turns strangers into lovers, and enemies to brothers"

haha yeah me too and i lvoe them both :)

callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon

"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

Great review! And by the way, I have heard of both Switchfoot and Snow Patrol ;)

nickjluv SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"Live like you're at the bottom even if you're at the top" Kevin Jonas Sr.

I love them all so much! Nick Jonas is my hero he inspires me everyday! This is a great article but needs to be updated . Awesome!

joeyarc PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado

"Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death."
- George Orwell, 1984

they have never officially broken up...they are just taking some time to do solo projects...and luckily they are brothers so can never actually break up!

morgan123 said...
i wish they more hits

morgan123 said...

the article was well written and theyhad good hits and i wish they were still together

freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

Nice article. Well stated point of view.

ChenChen SILVER, Dover, New Jersey

"Either way, change will come. It could be bloody, or it could be beautiful. It depends on us."

I'm not necessarily a fan, but I do enjoy some of their music. I was listening to a few of their songs today and I realized that they kind of sold-out a bit. When they first came out with "Mandy" and "Year 3000" they had a much more original sound. I think they started to sound a bit more mainstream with "S.O.S." But I did enjoy "Burnin' Up" and I did watch their tv show. But I'm still not a fan.

on Jul. 2 2011 at 10:16 am
Silent_Artist SILVER, Selma, North Carolina

"One day I'm gonna run away and never come back and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master" - Jimmy The Rev Sullivan. Not much of a deep meaning but it makes me laugh.

Sorry but guitar genious? Well i guess if the same 4 chords over and over again is "Genious"...........

Cosgrove BRONZE, Dover, Pennsylvania

"People only hate what they see in themselves"

Yes, everyone has their own taste of music. Mine happens to be listening to these three brothers. Their music has gotten me through so much and its really relatable and not dirty like most songs today. They might be like every other boyband that comes around, but only this time with a distinction; they are brothers. I'm proud to say that I'm sixteen going on seventeen and I've been with them ever since they started out. So stick that in your juice box and suck it haters. Cuz there will always be someone who loves em, even though all else have given up....and gone to Justin Beiber (who needs to go back to Canada)