Therapy by All Time Low | Teen Ink

Therapy by All Time Low

March 7, 2012
By Jessica Duque BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
Jessica Duque BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

First and foremost, All Time Low is the greatest band to ever walk the Earth. If you haven't listened to one of their songs, their ballad Therapy from their 2009 album Nothing Personal is a great one to start off on. It's the type of song where you can lie on your bed, stare at the ceiling, open your ears, close your eyes and take a big deep breath.
Self loathing. That is what the song Therapy is about. The track starts off with a 10 second single guitar melody that soothes the ears into serenity. Then, in comes lead singer Alex Gaskarth, whose naturally rocker voice is replaced by an equally perfect smooth lullaby, singing:
"My ship went down in a sea of sound
When I woke up alone, I had everything
A handful of moments, I wished I could change
And a tongue like a nightmare that cut like a blade"
Poetic words explaining the stabbing feelings of regret. The awful thoughts in your mind that take back memories of times when you messed up. As the verses go on, my sweet prince Alex continues to sing:
"In a city of fools
I was careful and cool
But they tore me apart like a hurricane
A handful a moments
I wish I could change
But I was carried away"
Being different. Feeling like you need to get away from everything, everyone, everywhere. When people judge you for who you are, and spitting words so powerful that they are compared to natural disasters that kill thousands. As we go along, the chorus finally comes to place, which says:
"Give me therapy
I'm a walking travesty
But I'm smiling at everything
Therapy
You were never a friend to me
You can keep all your misery "
If there were to be a section of the song I'd chose as my favorite, this would be it. I'll tell you a little secret. When I first listened to the song, I heard it as "I'm a walking tragedy." I had no idea the word travesty even existed. But once I was corrected by my friend, the word travesty seemed to have a worse meaning than tragedy. According to dictionary.com, the word travesty means, "A false, absurd, or distorted representation of something."
That really hit me. This character, that the song describes, sees himself as a wreck. A person dying on the inside, and continuing to suffer pain as he forces a smile to everyone. Everyone says that he needs therapy, but he knows it is no help. In live All Time Low shows, before this song is played, Alex Gaskarth gives a speech to uplift his fans for the days when they're down.
“Therapy is about every kid’s nightmare when people are telling you that you need to get help, but all you realy need is a hug.", Quotes Alex in an interview about the song.
Now we're onto the second verse. You'll see that this song, is not only a song, but a story. A story about a boy who unravels his pain and eventually gives up.
"I'm flesh and bone
I'm a rolling stone
And the experts say I'm delirious"
He's exhausted. He's weak. No one can help him now. He knows this sadness will result into death. Oh, but hold on, we still have yet the bridge to review.
"Arrogant boy
Love yourself so no one has to
They're better off without you
Arrogant boy
Cause a scene like you were supposed to
They'll fall asleep without you
You're lucky if your memory remains "
By now the topic of the song has changed from self loathing, to the process of suicide. "Cause a scene like you're supposed to. They'll fall asleep without you, you're lucky if your memory remains." Everyone has now given up on him. And if he commits, no one will care. Everyone will most likely forget about the one who suffered.
We end back with a crescendo in the chorus, Alex's voice growing in passion. The tempo speeds, and what started out as a single electric guitar, is now a symphony of guitar, bass, and drums. Not only the lyrics make this song a masterpiece, but the melody and mountain moving chords with the instruments. That's what I love about songs. It's poetry, but with combined with music, it turns into this indescribable feeling to the ears, an image to the mind, and a warming fire to the heart.
Therapy, has changed me. It didn't immediately affect me when first listening to it. But in times of trouble, times of despair, the song really reached out to me. As if, I was a movie character, and Therapy was the soundtrack of my life. Finally. A song that understood my feelings of neglect, sadness, and confusion. This song is what made the whole thing less painful.
Therefore, if you're having a hard time, take a look at the meaningful ballad Therapy by All Time Low. Technically, you've already heard it, since I've just taken you through all the lyrics. However, there really is nothing like actually hearing the song itself. Whether you need a picker upper, or just want to listen to good music, keep your ears and heart wide open, and hear the journey of the arrogant boy in the song Therapy.

The author's comments:
Therapy is truly a song that has so much meaning to me. I can't even describe the feelings I get when listening to it. I wanted to take this writing assignment, as a chance to fully dig through and interpret the meaning of this song. It's a beautiful and tragic tale, but that's what makes it so much more special. All Time Low is my favorite band for the reasons relate to the pain that we didn't even know we suffered.