The Night the Sun Came Up by Dev | Teen Ink

The Night the Sun Came Up by Dev

By Ahmad-Mobeen GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other
Ahmad-Mobeen GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other

Understand life... Don't just STAND UNDER it!

“The Night the Sun Came Up” is the debut effort by the Like A G6-hooker Dev. It has been released in various countries, including the UK, Australia and Ireland, but will be out in late March in the US.
Produced heavily by The Cataracts, the album holds an electronic, pop kind of era that, to my opinion, suits Dev well. The songstress opens up with “Getaway”, telling us of her starts and sacrifices in this soothing ballad that switches to a Rap-style unexpectedly. The last part is not bad, but the track was better without it. The second track that follows, “In My Trunk”, will be a letdown for many as the edits and electronic beats result in a cacophony that would please only a few. “Me”, the No. 3, is a happy-go-lucky song that coaxes the listener to sing along while putting their fists in the air. The real stuff starts at No. 4 when “Breathe” changes the atmosphere to a sensual one, and succeeds in getting the listener’s attention to the fullest.
Next up is “Take Her from You”, a track in which Dev warns a boy to “give me that girl or” she will take care of her by herself. This is my favorite track on this album because the mood Dev brings to it is something rarely heard. Not to mention, the whistling part adds to the fun of it.
“Light speed” then follows and then we are to “Dancing Shoes”, a track in which Dev is found singing in front of thousands of her fans and enjoying it. The music here is perfect, but the song prolongs its ending which becomes a bit annoying.
“Perfect Match” is the eighth song of the album. This ballad is, without doubt, one of the best works on this album.
Club bangers “Kiss My Lips” and “Bass Down Low” together with the highly successful “In the Dark” wind up the business in a fantastic style.
Reportedly, the American issue will be released with some new songs, one of which has been identified as “Naked” featuring the Latin heart-throb Enrique. The song was well received by critics who praised both the singers for their efforts.
On the whole, I guess, “The Night the Sun came Up” is a brilliant debut by Dev, and is a must buy as soon as it is released. 4.5/5.