Marquee Moon by Television This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Television, I would have to say, is an acquired taste. When I first heard their 1977 album, “Marquee Moon,” I hated everything about it. The singing was terrible, the guitars were annoying … everything about this band turned me off. I could not understand how this was qualified as “punk,” either. Then one day I played it on and I realized it was great!

The guitarists (Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd) play off each other in perfect harmony. They intertwine different guitar parts, which creates a unique and beautiful sound. In the title song, “Marquee Moon,” the guitars are each doing different things, but somehow they pull it together to make a great ­harmony.

The extended version of this album includes “Little Johnny Jewel,” where bassist Fred Smith's amazing talent is displayed! I cannot get over this song; it's fun and silly but also has an air of seriousness in it.

And let's not forget their amazing drummer, Billy Ficca. “Elevation” has an interesting drumbeat to it that really makes the song amazing. What makes this album so great is the fact that the musicians are all playing something different and interesting with their instruments, but it all fits together in one weird, perfect album!

Television is classified as punk, but plays a lot slower and more calculated than most bands of the CBGB (country, bluegrass, and blues) era it sprung out of. This is an all-around great album that I ­recommend to anyone and everyone, especially since it spans so many genres and ­generations.

demiurgeslaugh said...
Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:26 am:
i'd listen to them after reading this, but the first paragraph really turned me off. you kind of said the band is terrible when you first listen to them and that doesn't click with me if you know what I mean

stairs-to-heavenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:51 pm :
That's understandable, but it's just the honest truth.  Thanks for the feedback though :)

person96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 10, 2013 at 11:32 am:
I love this album so much. It gets so intense when your blasting it in your car and the last couple minutes of the title track comes on

BorderlineGenius777This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 3, 2013 at 10:25 am:
I'll have to check them out!

May 8, 2013 at 7:14 pm :
Highly, highly recommend it!