Life Sux by Wavves | Teen Ink

Life Sux by Wavves

By thatdanielgardner SILVER, Smyrna, Tennessee
thatdanielgardner SILVER, Smyrna, Tennessee

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau

I first heard of Wavves about a year ago when a friend was telling me about a split they did with Trash Talk (a favorite hardcore band of mine). My first Wavves experience was the video for “Post-Acid”, the surf-rock cut from their sophomore album King of the Beach. While I didn’t find this San Diego “stoner/surfer garage punk pop” band interesting at first listen, 2011’s Life Sux EP opened my ears up to be alot more friendly towards Wavves.

Having only been out for a few months, and despite only being 5-songs (20 minutes) in length, I definitely feel that Life Sux will be considered the band’s magnum opus. This EP really pulls together an aesthetic that is mostly found only in full length records. Instead of being some sort of teaser for a full length, this release comfortably pulls off being quite varied in influence, yet remains consistent. It almost goes with out saying that Life Sux (again) like an LP, marks an era for the band, as opposed to just being a few recordings made in between touring for King of the Beach.

Life Sux features guest appearances by another California surf pop band Best Coast, and also from the more abrasive hardcore band F****d Up. Every track could easily be the leading single; from the ever-so-catchy, shoegaze-esque opener “Bug”, to the band’s ode to former Nirvana drummer and Foo Fighters frontman “I Wanna Meet Dave Grohl”. There is never a dull moment on Life Sux. Though I hear people say that it’s sound is too similar to King of the Beach, I contend that it is more revised, catchy, and overall more well rounded than Wavves’ sophomore LP. I highly suggest this record for anyone eager to taste the dew-heavy air of a Santa Monica morning after a night of partying and sin.