Spoon – “Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga” | Teen Ink

Spoon – “Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga” MAG

Music usually has some ­instruments, a guy singing, and some clever lyrics, but the arrangement of music is just as vital as the content. So to stay original in a land of clichéd content, you must turn to the origin of the music: the noise and how it’s arranged.

“Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga” is the musically inclined patchwork of Spoon, the American indie rock band from Austin, Texas. Selling over 46,000 copies in its first week, Spoon has been climbing a sturdy ladder of success in the music industry. Britt Daniel, the frontman, is a musician with vision. Taking instruments and releasing their cool, cyan flow rather than forcing rushed lyrics into conceptually simple sounds. “Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga” showcases the interrelatedness of sound – past and present.

Songs like “You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb” have sonorous lyrics, accompanied by lively drums, a steady bass, low brassy buzzing, subtle xylophone work, and a pithy mess of synthesized beats. Daniel’s voice spars with the music and reflects the fiery spunk of the 1950s, jovially careless but full of meaning.

The more-recognized “The Underdog” comes with the same sonic delight, but has a better message: a “don’t mess with the middleman” attitude that we don’t see often enough.

When the songs aren’t sparkling with musical agility, they’re spooking the ears of many as Daniel and Eric Harvey (keyboard, percussion, backup vocals) harmonize around the simple rhythm provided in “My Little Japanese Cigarette Case.”

“Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga” is not only a feel-good album you’ll use to block out aggravation as you drive, but it’s actually a genre-defying spin on music. A good time to be had. A bad time made good. Good taste all-around.

daisyxoxo said...
on Feb. 14 2009 at 10:54 pm
I love this album!

Black Like Me and Don't You Evah are my favorites.