"4" fourth album by Beyoncé by Beyoncé | Teen Ink

"4" fourth album by Beyoncé by Beyoncé

By TheBowTiePoet SILVER, Calvert, Alabama
TheBowTiePoet SILVER, Calvert, Alabama

You're not obligated to win. You're obligated to keep trying to do the best you can every day.
Marian Wright Edelman

Fresh from her 1 year hiatus, 16-time Grammy-award winner, Beyoncé released her new album, 4 on June 24, 2011. The album received many positive reviews, and sold 313, 000 copies in the U.S. alone, followed by Adele's 21 and rapper Big Sean's debut album Finally Famous. It charted straight to #1 on the U.S. charts and several other countries. She is the third artist overall for her first 4 albums to debut at #1. This is a must have!
Track # 1: '1+1' : This song is a beautiful ballad that speaks about that individual you can't live without. Wherever she is, she wants to be with that person. The title goes along with one of the first lyrics, "I don’t know much about algebra, but I know that one plus one equals two". This song is a tribute to a never-ending love.
Track # 2: ' I Care' : Filled with high range vocals, and passion, this track is a reminder to the "heartbreaker" how much pain and hurt he's caused. She knows that he doesn't care because their not together now, but she cares. She cared about this relationship, and she cared about him, even if he doesn't!
Track # 3: 'I Miss You' : Just a second shy of 3 minutes, "I Miss You" is a simple contemporary song about missing someone deeply. You don't know how to put it, your tongue is tied, but all you know is that you really want to see them. I see this song for a scene of a movie when a girl is staring out the window thinking of a certain someone.
Track # 4 'Best Thing I Never Had' : This song is probably the one everyone wants to relate with! This is a song telling your ex, "Hey! You missed out. Bet you were with me now!" She chants at the beginning and end of the song "What goes around, comes back around. Hey, my baby." and "I bet it sucks to be you right now!" This is truly that "get over the ex" song!
Track # 5 'Party' : Personally my favorite song, "Party" is an 80's, old school type song that brings back that Keytar, the Gumby, thick gold chains, sweatsuits, and Kangoo hats! It hits hard with its bass, but is chill with its synthesized beats as well. This song is fit for a party. Put this on, and everyone will cheer along with Beyonce, "We likes to party, aye!" Kudos to Andre 3000 of OutKast for the fitting rap in the middle of the song!
Track # 6 'Rather Die Young' : A tale of a young love, this song explain how she'd rather die, than be without her other half. He lives on the edge and plays by his own rules, and she doesn't want to live without him. He's her "James Dean" and makes her feel 17. Sounds like a love story to me!
Track # 7 'Start Over' : "Start Over" is a plea to tell the person you're with, let's just stop here, and do this over again before we crash and burn. She still loves him, but this love isn't going anywhere but south. Let's try again before someone's heart gets broken. Listen to the fire in her voice as she belts out this song with much strength.
Track # 8 'Love on Top' : Another throwback song, this 90's type groove is fun and easy to love! After much time and work, she's finally at a point, where love is the first priority in her relationship. Love is put first and all is well. A good break from ballads.
Track # 9 'Countdown' : You probably heard it on her target commercial, this song is an upbeat fun Summer song. She counts down from 10 to 1 about the process of her and her "boo". You'll be up and dancing in seconds.
Track # 10 'End of Time' : At this point after you're already up, remain standing. This song will have your heart pumping, and your hips moving! "End Of Time" filled with horns, sirens, and harmonies. will be sure to keep you happy and dancing no matter if you're at a party, or just in your room!
Track # 11 'I Was Here' : Look for that box of Kleenex or Puffs, because you're gonna' need it! "I Was Here" written by Diane Warren responsible for classics such as "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion, and "I Don't Want To Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith, knows how to write a heart-gripping ballad! Written for the anniversary of 9/11, you will think, "If I leave here today, will I be ready?". Truly a gorgeous song!
Track # 12 'Run the World (Girls) : Now the last track. We should all know this one! Run the World was the leading single from the album. Sampled from "Pon De Floor" by Major Lazer, this song ensures that girls run the world. She asks through the song, "Who Run the World?". Anybody wanna' answer?
This album is a great one for the collection. Do the right thing, run to your local music store, snatch the album up and tell them to "ring it up!" Get ready for a musical journey!

A great album! I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

on Oct. 11 2011 at 7:14 am
cleo1311 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Great review I loved it all the way! You wrote it like a journalist would like excelent job!