Black Veil Brides : Set the World on Fire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When one hears the hallowed names of Motley Crue, L.A. Guns, and KISS, visions of stage antics, mayhem and killer rock 'n' roll shows fill our minds. These bands have marked the music industry with their unique spin and style. Twenty years later it seemed that the flow of original music had stopped. Then the Black Veil Brides dropped their new album, “Set the World on Fire,” on June 13, 2011, as a much anticipated follow-up to “We Stitch These Wounds.”

Lead singer Andy Biersack has taken a step back from screaming vocals and opted for a more melodic style here, reminiscent of the glam/hair metal style of Motley Crue and L.A. Guns. While the Black Veil Brides have taken up the glam metal flag, they have retained a sound uniquely theirs.

Cigarette-hazed vocals create a unique sound and style not found on “We Stitch These Wounds.” The double guitar conjures thoughts of K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton in a dueling yet complementary sound that adds depth. Double bass drum beats hook listeners, making their heads bob along unconsciously. Ashley Purdy's bass style puts a groovy spin on the music, deepening it and adding an extra level that polishes and perfects the sound. The finished album is a symphony of pure hard rock that will send any music junkie to heaven on the opening riff of “New Religion.”

As for the look, shock rock theatricality and style make the Black Veil Brides a shiny new face. The Black Veil Brides dress up and wear makeup for shows, but it is not to cover up a lack of musical talent but rather to put on a show for their fans.

The Black Veil Brides deserve five stars and two thumbs up. They've brought back what was good about music.

Shade3043This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 7 at 9:19 pm:
the Black Veil Brides are by far one of the most pretentious, overrated, and generic bands I have ever seen. Look at them. They're just BEGGING for attention. They're just like "HEY, GUYS WE'RE COOL, REALLY. WE'RE COOL." But they have no special musicianship whatsoever. All of their stuff sounds like hand-me-downs from better bands.

Music is Life said...
Sept. 6, 2013 at 9:52 am:
BVB is by far one of the greatest bands of this time my favorite songs are knives and pens and rebel love song but all are good 

musicprincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:56 pm:
Thank you so much for all of the positive commentary guys! It means a lot!! If you've read any of my Silver Tears stuff, I know I haven't posted in a while but it's because I've been doing some serious editing. I promise I'll do more reviews and revised chapters!

pandaceleste456 said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 8:11 am:
I've listened to BVB since the very beginning, and they have changed so much. Although the band isn't full of the orginal members....Anyways, now Andy tries too hard and puts too much rasp and pressure in his voice, sounds terrible. And the band isn't about being yourself, because if they were they wouldn't encourage fans to dress the way they do. There is all this hype about them, but it's only for their looks. They lack musical talent ever since they "made it big"

PlainJane12 replied...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm :
I disagree.  The fact that they encourage the fans to dress the way they do sets them apart from everyone else.  Besides, all fans try to dress like the people they like.  The way Andy sings is part of the music.  I will admit I am not a huge fan by any stretch of the imagination but even I can see this.

musicprincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:54 pm :
Thank you PlainJane12 for your support and for keeping an open mind. pandaceleste456, I mean no disrespect because you are obviously entitled to your own opinion. Like I've said before, comparing the firs and second albums is a mater of comparing apples to oranges because they are so different. I disagree with the "unoriginal sound" comment because they do in fact have a sound entirely unique to them. Their first album, in my opinion, was the most unoriginal in terms of sound because that partic... (more »)

AsphyxiaBellum replied...
Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm :
I'm going to have to agree with pandaceleste456, I, too have listened to BVB since the very beginning, when Sandra was still in the band, and I think that they try too hard now, before it was all about being true to yourself but now that they're at the "height" of their carreer, i'm starting to think that all they care about is the money. The fact that their  Albums are announced on TV now, makes me cringe soo much for being original. I have their first two albums and ... (more »)

SilentMind replied...
Jun. 13 at 10:17 am :
I have listened to them, and they do sound different now than when they first started. I for one have not seen their albums presented on TV, but as far as Pandora, I cannot deny that. Eventually everything will be all out in the open, and bands that were only once known by certain 'groups' of people will be widely known. Yes, none of the original members besides for Andy are in the band still. As for who's right/wrong about which music band is better, everyone is entitled to their ow... (more »)

VballGirl143 said...
Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:43 am:
I love BVB! Great reveiw!(:

triz12 said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm:
Love BVB they have great songs and i love there new album STWOF. :D

callie15 said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:30 pm:
Nice review! I love BVB. Right now, I'm listening to the song "Fallen Angels". It's such a rock anthem :)

xEmmiiix said...
Not trying to be mean but, I thought STWOF came out on the 14th?

xEmmiiix said...
They are my favorite band ever!!!!! They are my heros and my religion!!!! BVB ARMY FOR LIFE!!!! <333333333

Gagamonsta said...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 10:44 am:
I Love BVB! They are my Favorite band, and Andy Biersack is amazing! Personally I like stitch these wounds better than set the world on fire because I like the more screamo sound(of course my faveorite song is perfect wepons). Its ok I still LOVE set the world on fire!(:

Tayrodactyl said...
Okay, this would be awesome... if it were accurate. Bvb was my favorite band. Their image enthralled me, their music captured the essence of everything I was (and still am), and their message inspired me. We Stitch These Wounds was magical. Then I saw them live. My heart was broken, my world seemed to crumble. Andy Biersack hardly sang, he looked so thin that he might break, there was a 3 minute drum solo (that was most of their set), and Ashley Purdey was the only one who tried. I was so... (more »)

Sept. 10, 2011 at 11:13 am :
Thanks for appreciating my small amount of grammar mistakes. What people fail to realize is that every band has a bad night and that their performances change from night to night. Please keep in mind that they live in a bus, they rarely get much sleep and that touring, overall, is terrible on the body.